Kawartha Carp?

Weeds

Hey Photoz maybe you're the one who who should be doing the reading. Carp do destroy native fish habitat THAT'S A FACT!! Your statement about carp living peacefully with other species makes no sense. Carp increase levels of turbidity in our coastal marshes and waterbodies beyond thresholds that native fish can tolerate THAT'S A FACT. Turbidity will improve if carp are eliminated from an area where they were previous. It's pretty simple, when the carp aren't disturbing the substrate, particles do not become suspended, except for wave action and/or current. These are not "tales" these are facts that any reputable fisheries biologist would support.

If carp live so "peacefully" with other species maybe you should be contacting DFO, OMNR or your local CA and ask them why they utilize carp barriers to keep these peacefull fish out of native fish habitat. I guess they're all idiots and should stop wasting their time.

I'm an aquatic analyst for a local conservation authority and I have seen first hand the destruction carp inflict on native fish habitat so I think I know a little more about this than someone who's obviously biased because they enjoy catching carp.

Hell, I love catching smallmouth bass but I would never want them in my favorite brook trout lake because they don't belong there and they would wipe out the brookies. Same goes for carp, they belong in Asia not in Ontario. I don't let my love of catching one species bias the fact that invasive species are never good for any ecosystem.

I have caught and seen huge carp in Gbay, whenever I fished for them I end up getting 5lb + smallies too and have seen large garpike a couple times mixed in with them.

Also beware if your out in your hip waiders, they like to run into your shins, this happened to me one time and I fell in face first, good thing it was warm.

Carp peacefully co-exist with ALL other species of fish in ALL places I fish them. A very popular 'ol' wives tale among the uninformed is that when the carp move in, ALL other species leave. Generally, when this happens, it means the water quality has gotten so bad other species cannot survive. Carp do 'root around' in shallow, tepid marshes, and stir up the water . . . . . but again, the water is generally so bad by then, even if you cleared ALL the carp, other fish couldn't survive. A true sportsman, who knows of what he speaks would NEVER advocate just killing off a fish that thousands of us enjoy catching, just because they believe many tales handed down by earlier generations, who didn't know either. I'd suggest you do a bit of reading on the subject, before wildly proclaiming the carp as 'enemy #1! Here's a good start . . . . .

HISTORY OF CARP IN THE UNITED STATES

Prior to 1900, most native fish were viewed as vital food resources. Fish designated as sport fish today were harvested commercially and shipped by rail to the cities. The results were gravely declining stocks of river and lake fish at a time the U.S. population was greatly expanding. In 1871, Ulysses S. Grant and Congress ordered the formation of the U.S. Fish Commission to oversee the nation's fisheries interests. By 1877 the studies of European fish farming techniques indicated the carp would contribute to the strength of the nation.

By 1874, the commission after long study issued a report entitled, "Fishes Especially worthy of Cultivation." It went on to say that no other species except the carp promises so great a return in limited waters. Cited were advantages over such fish as black bass, trout, grayling and others "because it is a vegetable feeder, and although not disdaining animal matters can live on vegetation alone and can attain large weight kept in small ponds and tanks."

In 1876, the commission enumerated other good qualities such as high fecundity (a count of ripe eggs in the female fish), adaptability to artificial propagation, hardiness of growth, adaptability to environmental conditions unfavorable to equally palatable species, rapid growth, harmlessness in relation to fish of other species, ability to populate waters to it's greatest extent and fine table qualities. By 1877, citing the above reasons and adding, 'there is no reason why time should be lost with less proved fishes," the commission, convinced of the value of carp, imported 345 fishes of scaled, mirror and leather carp from German aqua culturists. On May 26th, they were placed in the Druid Hill Park ponds in Baltimore, Maryland. The ponds proved inadequate and some were transferred to the Babcock lakes on the monument lot in Washington, D.C. the following year.

So did they somehow escape from these confines to populate nearly everywhere? No. Now state governments get involved. Records indicate about 6,203 fingerlings were produced in the Babcock lakes in 1879. These were shipped to 273 applicants in 24 states. About 6,000 fingerlings were produced in the Druid Hill ponds that year and were stocked primarily in Maryland. One year later, 31,332 carp were shipped to 1,374 applicants. In 1882, carp production increased to 143,696 fish and distributed in small lots to 7,000 applicants. In 1883, about 260,000 carp were sent to 9,872 applicants in 298 of 301 congressional districts and to 1,478 counties. During the years 1879 to 1896, the U.S. Fish Commission distributed 2.4 million carp, some of which were sent to Canada, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Mexico. By 1897, the Commission discontinued the stocking because carp had been distributed nearly everywhere and many states assumed the task of propagation and stocking of carp.

right on! this whole thing of carp treated as garbage fish and all is only here in North America, in Europe and elsewhere its a delicasy... i dont beleive in the rubbish against carp

Hey Photoz maybe you're the one who who should be doing the reading. Carp do destroy native fish habitat THAT'S A FACT!! Your statement about carp living peacefully with other species makes no sense. Carp increase levels of turbidity in our coastal marshes and waterbodies beyond thresholds that native fish can tolerate THAT'S A FACT. Turbidity will improve if carp are eliminated from an area where they were previous. It's pretty simple, when the carp aren't disturbing the substrate, particles do not become suspended, except for wave action and/or current. These are not "tales" these are facts that any reputable fisheries biologist would support.

If carp live so "peacefully" with other species maybe you should be contacting DFO, OMNR or your local CA and ask them why they utilize carp barriers to keep these peacefull fish out of native fish habitat. I guess they're all idiots and should stop wasting their time.

I'm an aquatic analyst for a local conservation authority and I have seen first hand the destruction carp inflict on native fish habitat so I think I know a little more about this than someone who's obviously biased because they enjoy catching carp.

Hell, I love catching smallmouth bass but I would never want them in my favorite brook trout lake because they don't belong there and they would wipe out the brookies. Same goes for carp, they belong in Asia not in Ontario. I don't let my love of catching one species bias the fact that invasive species are never good for any ecosystem.

could it be natural selection maybe?? fittest survives, the pike eats the perch...

St. Lawrence , or Lake Ontario is my bet .

As for carp being an invasive species , sure , by DEFINITION they might not be a fish that has been here for as long as others , but it's just another phase in the development of our lakes and rivers. Some fish are more ancient , others come later , it's your personal choice what you like and what you hate , just have an open mind and be happy knowing your beloved bass pike and muskies are safe , along with all other species .

**Every year 40+ lbers are caught from Ontario (Lake Ontario, Kawarthas, St. Lawrence). Claiming the record, you'd need to kill the fish and hold the fish in your freezer while waiting for OFAH to weigh it on their scales when they call for it...Why bother go through the hassle? ****

hmmm why bother with the hassle

these days breaking a provincial record or canadian record is worth about half a million dollars

endorsements from equipment you used etc. even the boat and say how well your gm product pulled it

if u broke the bass or walleye record **especially**tackle companies would be all over you

tell them rod and bait, u get cut of sales of rod and baits just so u can have your picture in add saying u caught with shimano rod with a chronarch reel

and if you sign a contract with a major tackle company saying how u slayed that record you will be on pro staff and get this **dont work just fish all around the world**

IMO---- this is hardly worth the time and hassle ROFLMAO

If u do break a record bring over to me I will cash in for you since you would not want to be hassled

hmm im sure the corn companies would be all over you

Well, like you said WALEYE GUY, it WAS about 2 cents worth! But . . . . I'm curious . . . . if I should be fishing my fave trout stream, and catch a bass . . . . would you suggest I KILL it, because, in my opinion, it didn't 'belong there?' Or perhaps a pike in my favorite musky waters? KILL it too?? Yup . . . . if ya don't think it belongs, KILL IT!!