Gar

mistaredone

....we saw some resident gar take up a home right at our backyard dock last july/07

Funniest looking fish.......

Glenn at Sam's Carra OutdoorSports wrote an article on this fish...

Glenn I believe, is Sams store manager and also a guide.(a pro on Quinte)

I havent fished for them yet but would rather not at our place to just see them come around even more.

bNb

A piece of string walked into a small town on a hot, dusty day.

He was thirsty, so he sauntered into the first establishment he

encountered and asked the waiter for a glass of water.

"Sorry", said the waiter, "we don't serve strings here."

Discouraged, the string walked out. A little further down the

street, he met a stranger.

"You look hot," said the stranger. "Why don't you go into that

cafe and get a drink of water?"

"I tried that," said the string, "but the waiter wouldn't serve

me anything because I'm just a string."

"No problem" said the stranger. "I'll fix you up." He grabbed

the string, tied him in a bowline and frayed his ends. "Now try it."

The string slipped back into the cafe and asked the waiter for a

glass of water. "Hey," said the waiter, "aren't you the piece of

string that was just in here?"

"Nope," retorted the string, "I'm a frayed knot."

Just for Doug

As a fisherman leaned over the edge of the boat to land his catch his wallet fell out of his shirt pocket. Before it could sink a large fish grabbed it. While he watched, openmouthed, another large fish grabbed it from the first, then another grabbed it from that one.

His fishing buddy blandly commented, "What's the matter? Haven't you ever heard of carp-to-carp walleting?

there was a man who sent ten different puns to friends, in the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

I've caught them using a treble hook, with a floating corky right above it. Put a nice sized minnow on the treble, and sight fish them. The corky will keep the minnow on the surface, and the gar will pounce on them. Wait a bit before you set the hook......and when you do, nail them hard.

I used to use a floating jighead with a minnow and a stinger hook, but I find a bare treble with a minnow is more effective.

Pretty awesome when they attack the minnow off the surface, but tough to get a hook into them.

Percy Reach and moira river were the waters I fished for them. I should go back there again and try for them......lots of fun.

Sinker

i caught one in the thames river by accident fishing for walleye. i caught a 3lb gar, they are stinky fish. I caught it on a spoon and the fight was good. If you want to catch them look for some guides in the thames river area and you may get lucky and get one who fishes for them.

oh yeah, one more thing... They REALLY STINK... worst smelling fish EVER!!! some people say muskies have a strong odor... absolutely not!!! Gar Pike, by far the strongest odor on a fish i have ever smelt.

I concur with napjohn8 as well. I caught a 42"er by happenstance in the French River while fishing with a hook and minnow. The smell of that species has to be experienced to be described.