Oil Change question for 30HP Honda 4 stroke

Fisherpete

So I did my first oil change on my own today, and all went well, except for one thing... AFTER finishing, I noticed in the manual that the recommended oil weight for my motor is 5W30. The Honda Dealership gave me 10W30, this is what they gave me when I told them my motor model, and that is what I put in today... is this still OK? I know with cars you often put 10W in the summer, 5W in the winter. Grrr, hope I don't have to do it again... not a huge deal, but messy and annoying... Anyone know?

I also changed the oil filter, 3 spark plugs, fuel filter and lower unit fluid (which still looked perfect). All went well, it just took me 5 times longer than it probably should have. Ready to fish!

Edited by Fisherpete

No starting or running issues Pete.. even in the snow ! If you're really gonna extend your season into the late fall 5w might be worth a drain and fill at that time.. and the few hours you put on then will leave the oil good for 2009 season.

DANG Pete.. I lied to you. Just pulled my service reports for the past 3 years and it's been getting 15W40 at each oil change. It's all Temagami Marine uses in the smaller stuff. Like I said.. no issues, but maybe I'll supply my own 2 litres of oil this fall when I have them rack the boat.

Edited by irishfield

Make sure you replace both nylon washers on the lower unit plugs when you do a fluid change (My Honda BF90 has them & I assume smaller Hondas are the same). Also there is an aluminum washer on the oil drain plug that should be changed every few oil changes.

Cheers,

Ted

15w 40? seems a little heavy...U have one of them diesel Hondas?

You know Bernie.. the funny thing is the Esso XD3 bottle actually specs out it's uses for Diesel engines.. as when I grabbed all the supplies for doing the top/bottom oil changes on my Mercs.. I found this is what I was given for my 9.9 kicker. So I grabbed my merc booklet and it shows 10W30 for ALL temps and 25W-40 for everything above 4*C... so 15W40 should be just fine for the season and it meets the specs in the booklet. I'll change it to 10W30 before I start my late fall fishing. though I think.

Also my 25HP is pushing a Steel work boat... so the 40 weight is probably a good idea...although something in the 10W or 5W would be better on them COLD days.

I was just surfing and found on the 15 and 20 HP Hondas they call for 10w30 or 10w40. I don't often work on the outboards anymore so I get out of the loop on some details. It seems to me in this climate that Honda recommends 10w30. A hard working engine in warmer waters may be better off with the 10w 40.

What I have found strange in the motor oils specs recently is the fact that there are several automotive companies that are requiring 5w20 weight oils.

So all the stuff that I was taught in the past about multi-grade oils being better was hogwash? So why are they going to a lesser range of multigrade? Emissions is the only answer from my suppliers. Have heard many different ideas why, but nothing concrete.

Are they sacrificing the durability of the engines in our vehicles to satisfy emission standards or is there another reason?

The engines they are recommending this 5w20 in are not necessarily hi-revvers.

No one I have talked to in the oil industry seems interested in talking about it at length.

CONSPIRACY! :D:wallbash: