prop help needed

forrest

Oh wise OFNers.....I need help with a prop problem.

I am new to motors and need a new prop. I have not had any luck on ebay and my local dealer (that has it in), they rhyme with "luck". So the luck I am having is not the type I want, have mercy.

My old prop will sit as a backup (once repaired) and I think I am looking for a Quicksilver or Black Max. The boat is a 2007 Mercury 4-stroke EFI...it is a 10 3/8 by 13 pitch (from merc site, I am not fussy)

Price is pretty important to me and I have no dealer loyalty established yet, I live east of toronto.

thanks!

Forrest

Guest skeeter99

any prop will fit the beast in the same size that you want

just use a flo-torq hub (made by mercury)

you can use a yamaha/envinride/honda etc... prop just plop the flo-torq in and it will fit the merc

if you have a flo-torq hub now pop it out and check it every now and then, they are a composite material and tend to get stress cracks

oh and try oshawa prop repair on stevenson just south of the o.c. he has lots of props in stock and can order for you if you want a certain one

goreski's resort on lake scugog has alot of those size props cheap too!! $100 to $150

Edited by skeeter99

Forrest, your old prop should be good as new if repaired properly. But of course you should always have a second prop as a backup. My spare props have always had a different pitch than the original. That gives me another option if, for example, I want more power than speed if I plan on a long ride with a heavier load. It's nice to have the option. You just have to watch your rpm's with a different pitch prop. It's possible to over rev your motor with a higher pitch prop.

Guest skeeter99

dan

I hate to step on your toes but a higher pitcth prop drops your rpms 1 diff in pitch up = 150 to 200 rpm drop, if you lower the pitch your engine could over rev

here is a guide

a high pitched prop for engine/boat size will have a poor or undesireable hole-shot but top end speed will be greatest (to a point)

a lower pitch prop for engine/boat size will have a great hole-shot but will lack on top end

the trick is two find a prop in the middle so you have good performance all around

Troy

Edited by skeeter99

Over propping can be more damaging to engines than most people realize. The extra strain on the engine created by a prop that is harder to turn will put more strain on bearings. An under propped engine is easier to turn by the engine but the risk can be over revving causing broken rods, valve train breakage and a few other issues. Find out what your engine RPM is designed to run at at wide open throttle and get a prop that will allow it to operate at that range. This is important to long engine life. Have seen engine failure due to improper props.

Port perry Marine on highway 12 south of Reach road is a very good Mercury and Brp dealer and has the most common sizes in stock. Rayplex Limited at 341 Durham Court by the Oshawa Center does repairs and sells Michigan Wheel props which are cheaper tham mercs but of excellent quality.I had one on my last boat and it worked well.

vance