Pike Season May 1st, GTA

napjohn8

i am very new to catching pike in the GTA area, very familiar with catching them up in the lake of bays, muskoka area, i was reserachnig and talking to the MNR officials at the sportsman show and from my understanding the GTA offers an abundance of pike in the area. I have already considered pike, however i live in mississauga, would the humber bay park west and east be a good alternative. Btw in may what would i catch at the islands, i am assuming carp, sm & lm bass, catfish, perch, i am open to all types of fishnig cause salmon season is over till september.

At the islands in may if you catch bass you will be in trouble as the are not in season untill end of june . Not many pearch to be caught if any they will be small . Carp will be there , but you probably find more and bigger in humber bay catfish also . Pike will just be finshed spawning than and you will find them still close to shore from humber bay to ashbridges bay untill the water warms and than the big guys seam to disappear untill next spawn but small pike can be found all summer cruiseing the weedbeds in search of a meal .

Hey Napjohn8,

I'm from Mississauga as well but haven't really mastered the area I've been living in my whole life. It wasn't until the last couple of years or so I started to venture about the lakeshore and look for good spots to take a couple of casts.

Like you, I find the most action around here is when the Salmon run in the fall, but you can also find cats in the Credit usually in the 1 to 3 pound range year round.

Of course, come mid-May Pike can be found around the T.O. islands and harbourfront. In June, bass, carp, bowfin and cats are also found.

Anyway, all I can say is keep tryin' and you never know what you might hook into. I take a camera with me just in case I catch that two-headed pike, lol.

Best of luck,

reefrunner

I think pike doesnt open till the first Saturday in May in Lake Ontario..that would be the 3rd.

May 1st on Geo bay

Hey Bucktail, ya best check your regz, it's actually the second Saturday for zone 16. That would be the 10th of May... heheeh

Good luck out there!

HD