Chemong Lake

Lakeshore

Me and my family usually vacation at least once a week at a cottage, do some fishing, kids swim, campfire all the regular cottage things.

We usually rent in the Haliburton/Muskoka region, but this year it seems like we missed the boat on a few places.

We have an opportunity to rent on Chemong, Smith-Ennismore-Lakefield, very nice property. I have never been to this end of the province to vacation. I am a novice fisherperson, and so is my family, what can we expect as far as fishing opportunities?? I do get a small aluminum boat and motor.

My kids have always loved swimming in the lake. Is Chemong kid safe, I notice that many of the pics show the lake is fairly weedy eutrophic and doesnt look like the clear northern lakes we usually go to. I am concerned that there will be nowhere for them to play in the water and enjoy water activities.

I have to make a decision fairly soon, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I have asked some questions to the direct owner, but answers are somewhen unclear.

If you're used to nice northern lakes with rocks and clear water, Chemong is going to look like a slightly damp salad. You may not find this particularly fun. Lake has perch, crappie, bass, walleye, muskie & carp. LeXXington isn't kidding about weedless tackle.

Not really a "kids" lake, I don't think. Shallow, so you've gotta get some distance out from shore to get away from the (really tall) weeds. Once you get away from the weeds, you've gotta worry about the :asshat:s in 3 huge Scarabs that think they're racing at Indy, and a few bass boats who get inspired by them. They're not there all the time, but when they are, it's sure not a Disney environment.

There's a nice sandbar over in Pigeon Lake, but that's not exactlly next door, and you're in a little aluminum jobby. You'd have to cross the west end of Buckhorn to get there, and that stretch gets pretty rough. On a calm day, the sunsets on west Buckhorn are absolutely spectacular.

If this rental property doesn't have its own beach, there are 2 conservation areas, off the top of my head. Selwyn Conservation Area is towards the top end, on the east side. Ennismore Waterfront Park is about halfway up the west side. Depending on where you're planning to rent, these may or may not be convenient.

cant add very much but try this:

www.pigeonlakeresort.com

I cannot remember the owners names at all but they are very friendly and most of all very 'CLEAR' when they give you information or advice.

They have lodges...dont know if tents are allowed.

:rental boats

:slips

:lots of green grass areas and what looked like a beach....it was the 2nd week of Novemeber/05 when i was last there and snow was on the ground so???? :dunno:

good Luck in your quest..............

Stoney lake has some decent lodges w/beaches.....

again I cant remember much but,

We rented for a thanksghiving weekend with all the kids..........

4 sons and 2 daughters.they were 10-19yrs old at the time..

This place came inclusive:

Rental fishing boats...paddle boats/canoes/bouyed off swimming area/horseshoe pits and an outdoor fire pit.

Everything that has been said it true of the South end of the lake.

The North end of the lake is less weedy and the farther north you go, the more rocky it gets.

The lake is long and narrow, so a tinny isn't too bad to fish out of.

I have a friend who lives on the lake in Bridgenorth, near the causeway.

His young grandchildren swim and play around his dock, no problem.

Ask the owners about their swimming area.