Question regarding Boating Regs....

Gerritt

VI Passive Radar Reflector: Large vessels have radar screens on board. If a pleasure craft has a passive radar reflector mounted on board, its presence will be detected on the large vessel's radar screen. Therefore, the Collision Regulations require a pleasure craft less than 20 metres in length OR which is primarily made of non-metallic materials to have a passive radar reflector mounted or suspended not less than 4 metres above the water, if practical. This provision does not apply when the device is not essential for the safety of the craft (limited traffic conditions, daylight, favourable environmental conditions) or the small size craft or his/her operation away from radar navigation makes compliance impractical. A wooden sailing craft on Silver Lake would not require a passive radar reflector, but on the St. Lawrence River, it would.

Given the amount of people fishing G-Bay, St. Lawrence etc... in Fiberglass boats, does this provision apply to you? I have yet to see a Fiberglass boat with a radar reflector.. but there it is in the regs... Or am I reading it incorrectly? is it impractical to install a reflector in a fiberglass boat?

G

Gerritt,

Being that I am right smack dab in the middle of the St. Lawrence I can at least answer part of this question. Although I do not know the regs regarding this. I do however live above a marina and beside the yacht club, thus I see a lot of boats.

Almost all of the dive boats here have a radar antenna and maybe half of the cruisers in the yacht club. I know when I am out night fishing a steam ship can pick me up really easily. When they get close they usually give be a beam of light (that hurts the freakin eyes) as a warning that they are there as you cannot really tell from the navigation lights where they really are.

That's all I got for you right now.

I asked this question of my friend who teaches the boating safety course and here is his reply:

"Hi Cliff.....this question comes up every time we teach Safe Boating....coming up with a "black & white" answer is difficult....common sense prevails!

Our explanation is as follows.....

The prudent mariner takes every possible precaution to ensure they return safely to port after every voyage. That means using whatever safety mechanisms are available including a passive radar reflector when visibility is degraded in an area where other, large, fast moving marine traffic can be reasonably expected! This is especially crucial when boating in or near commercial shipping lanes!

Reducing speed, turning on running lights, donning life jackets, posting a lookout, listening for other craft, sounding the appropriate sound signals and anchoring if conditions warrant are also strongly suggested.

Is someone likely to be cited for not having a passive radar reflector hoisted in a light mist? Probably not, but "better safe than sorry!"

Hope this helps a little......

Gord"

Hope this helps Gerritt.

Cliff