My newest edition. NF

nautifish

Well as a few of you know that next to fishing birds are my passion also.

I adopt unwanted birds that basically people can no longer take care of or they run into behavioural problems with the bird and choose to discard them.

Sadley i see alot of this which just breaks my heart. I am currently owned by nine fids now i had to turn down a lady last yr with a sulphar crested and i felt bad that i had too but this guy needed to be placed in a home with an expereinced person and have one to one. Having nine fids takes up alot of my time now had i had less i would have taken him in a heart beat. So i reffered her to someone i knew and he is doing great which is vantastic.

Anyway i receieved an email a couple of weeks ago from a lady needed to rehome her Alexandrian as her son was going to college and also working so no longer had the time that was needed to take care of him.

So i decided i would take him in and adopt him. They had told me he was nippy and biteing. So they drove through to my place last weekend and dropped him off.

I got him all setteled in his new home. He has been with me for six day'sow and is doing fantabulous. I allready have him stepping up onto my hand yesterday he spent the most part of the afternoon sat on my shoulder traveling around the house with me. He is eating good and playing with his toys all which are very good signs.

So this is my newest addition to my flock RINGO.

IMG_7161-1.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

Then yesterday morning while doing my daily routine cleaning and feeding all my fids i got a big surprise.....lol

This is keiko i adopted this little guy six yrs ago now. He is a total sweetheart and i love him to death. He really is quite the character let me tell ya.

IMG_7170.jpg

So after cleaning and feeding the big guys i get to keikos cages and he pops his head up from underneath the newspaper looks at me and underneath he goes back under the paper. This is not what keiko usually does on a morning he usually is straight out of the cage and on my shoulder. So i coax him out and what do i find.

YUP

IMG_7234.jpg

A EGG......LOL.........All this time i for sure thought that he was a he when infact he is a she......lol.......

What gorgeous birds, Nauti! Sadly bird neglect( especially by people who buy parrots )is terrible. They really need an owner to spend a lot of time with them, otherwise they go stir-crazy.

They're lucky to be under you're roof, I'll bet.

Well sadley mike too many are brought in pet stores when they are very young and have been hand fed and tamed. But as a bird ages and they become sexually mature this is when alot of people start to run into problems with there birds. For a few yrs they are great then out of no where they can start to become agressive,bite and so on. They are very social animals they like to be around people and they need alot of play time and interaction not only with people but with other birds is good also.

I do get alot of emails from people with problem birds asking for advice. I am no proffesional but i have kept birds for over 25 yrs now and raised a few in the past also.

So i do have alot of experience hands on when it comes to the exotic feathered kind.

They really can make a vantastic addition to your family but it is also very important to know what it is you are getting into exactly and knowing and understanding your bird.

Alot of people don't and this is when alot of the problems start to arise.

I was told ringo was a biter he has not bitten me once yet . Thats not saying he won't but he hasen't.

Edited by nautifish

Very cool Nauti.

Glad there's people around like yourself who step up to the plate and help these birds.

My blue and gold macaw is definitely a handful, he was pretty badly abused when I got him.

But after having him now for 7 years I doubt I could ever give him up. He is getting much better

socially but he was one screwed up little dude when I got him.

It took me over a year just to be able to touch him.

People don't realize what it takes to care for birds like these. They sure aren't budgies !!!

I would never recommend one as a pet to anyone unless they were totally dedicated and understood fully what it takes to take care of them. Especially when they live as long as they do. I know Macaws can live well over 60 - 70 years.

Congrats on the new addition.

Ringo is one lucky dude.

Hookset.

Very cool Nauti.

Glad there's people around like yourself who step up to the plate and help these birds.

My blue and gold macaw is definitely a handful, he was pretty badly abused when I got him.

But after having him now for 7 years I doubt I could ever give him up. He is getting much better

socially but he was one screwed up little dude when I got him.

It took me over a year just to be able to touch him.

People don't realize what it takes to care for birds like these. They sure aren't budgies !!!

I would never recommend one as a pet to anyone unless they were totally dedicated and understood fully what it takes to take care of them. Especially when they live as long as they do. I know Macaws can live well over 60 - 70 years.

Congrats on the new addition.

Ringo is one lucky dude.

Hookset.

Hi Hookset.

If i am honest The macaws are my favorite. I am owened by a green winged Autum.

This is my baby grl

029.jpg

This next picture is

Pumpkin my U-TOO on the top left Rock my bareyed on the bottom left and again autum.

untitled34.jpg

This next picture is maxy a green quaker but i call her my little green sprout...

maxy.jpg

This next picture is Jazzy

jazzy.jpg

I also have another two tiels and am currently babysitting another teil who will be returning home next week after being with us for three months.

I was about to say "Keiko" is a girl's name (in Japanese anyways).

Now the question becomes, will it hatch?

Good of you to spend the time for the feathered friends.

Actually i did know that HF But i was sure SHE was a male.......lol.....

To answer your question no the egg will not hatch . I am going to have to keep a close eye on her though now to make sure she does not continue to lay . Birds can become egg bound which can cause death. Sadley we Lost a teil a few yrs back now that would not stop laying. Had her to OUR AVIAN vet several times and they're was nothing that could be done. :(

Edited by nautifish

What does fids mean??????????

I ain't a bird person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fids is what us bird people like to call them which basically means out feathered kids. Because trust me when you have macaws and cockatoos its like living with a house full of two yr old children ....lol :whistling:

Ummmmm.............yeah............my boss used to have a full grown Minah bird, had to watch your head in his place, lol.

It was the bird's house, not his, lol.

Yup they're can be day's like that but honeslty i would not want it any other way. You really have to have a passion for them to have as many as i do because my house on a morning can be some what noisey.......lol

All this time i for sure thought that he was a he when infact he is a she

:lol: I had a cokatiel few months back He flew all over the place caused me so much trouble. I thought he doesn't go over to my televison set but when I leave the room for a few seconds he flies over to my tv set on top. When he hears someone coming he flies back to where he's supposed to be. One time I heard him chuckling..sound like he was talking to himself murmering. I slowly snuck up to the room and saw where he was...ontop of my tv set. I must have had it for a couple of years.. when one night I was out...my mother found an egg where he was hidding. He turned into a she all of a sudden. And all this time causing so much trouble I that she was a boy. I never females cause that much trouble behind out backs. :lol: I can see the comments. :D

What a pretty bird. Was in Florida years ago...went inside an area I believe it was at Bucsh Gardens...anyway it was an area just for birds. There was a beautiful big blue bird. And I was drawn to it. So of course I am the typical "tourist" and started to say..."hello", "hello"

Well to my great surpise he answered ME!!! and said hello back...I had to gather my two boys and tried again, and the pretty blue one did not disappoint me....

Memories are great lol

Great job you are doing :clapping:

It sounds like you are referring to the Hyacinth Macaw Twighlight. They are a beautiful deep blue velvet and sometimes can look deep purple in certain light. They have a ring of bright solid yellow around they're eyes. They are the largest of all the macaws and wow they are beautys for sure. You can be sure to set yourseelf back at least 10 thousand dollars or more for a bird like that. Which personally i think is great. This is why you do not see so many as you do with the other macaws up for adoption.

All my birds talk minus the two now. That would be keiko and the newest addition. I have never tryed to teach any of my fids to talk they have all basically picked up and learned on there own. When it comes to bedtime in my house it sounds like the waltons....lol..........They all like to say good night to each other and when i say they say Good night i mean they are all like....Good night rock, good night maxy and so on and so on.....lol...It really is quite comical i sopose but i am used to it.

DSN Cockatiels are easy to sex. The males will allways have a more vibrant orange on the cheeks you can also tell by the banding underneath their wings. ;)

Here's my little dude, Dino.

But I think he's a she too.

The second pic is kinda blurry but it took me 10 minutes just to get these two :angry:

Dang' feathered monkey...

IM001160.jpg

IM001161.jpg

Awesome Hookset .

Absolutley beautiful.

Do you have an avian vet? It is very easy to have the larger birds sexed now. They will simply pull a blood feather usually from the tail and send it away. It takes about 4 to 7 day\s before you get the results back & you will also get a certificate saying what sex your fid is. I paid $40.00 for the last one which i thought was pretty reasonable.

The B&G In my opinion are the gentlest of the macaws . I hand reared one back in Europe and i could do absolutley anything with her and i mean anything.

This is blue also a B&G.

ski26blueinpark.jpg

The guy you see next is COCO african grey when i adopted this handsome fella he would have tore ya fingers off. He was one mean dude. The people that had him previously had been very cruel which i will not go into because it still upsets me to this day.

coco.jpg

That picture was taken six months after he had been homed with me. So it just goes to show if you have the lovve, patience and understanding anything is possible.