How to fish Black Crappie through the ice??

rtrudeau

Hi folks, Hoping someone out there can lead me in the right direction. Now that laker and whitie season are over here in Barrie area, and looking for a change from perchin', wondering if anyone would be willing to share some of the need to know's of slab fishing through the ice. I am close to coucheching, georgian bay and of course Simcoe and have many questions. What kind of depths would you find them in early, mid, and late winter? Do they suspend or are they near bottom or both?? Maggots, shiners, crawlers?? How do you present your offerings for them?? As you can see, this is pretty much a start from the beginning and speak real slow kind of post....lol. If you can help me out I would appreciate it. Also I am not far from Little and I know they are in there in summer and wonder if anyone has mush success in winter there. Thanks for the help, Ryan

I'm no expert, but...

You have to move around to find them basically. Favorite spots sometimes just don't produce. Where I fish them (lower French river area) we usually find them in deeper water. 25 to 40 feet.

I get most of mine within about 1.5 feet off bottom. Sometimes they do suspend...and those will be the active ones. You'll want a sonar to be sure. Or you can work your jig up a foot or two at a time looking for 'em. I've find them as high a 16 feet off.

I've heard maggots are awesome, but can't confirm that. I've had the best luck using a little jig or spoon tipped with a 1.5-3 inch shiner. Not chubs, little silver shiners. Jigging is good, but sometimes my still line does better. Often I'll get a hit on my jigging line shortly after I put it down to take a drink or scoop my other hole or whatever.

They have soft, paper-like lips, so a gentle sweep is the best hook set, and don't horse it. When the bite is on, they are a lot of fun. Good eating too, they clean up just like a bass.

Not a lot of help I guess, but good luck and have fun.

Well a number of years ago, everyone went crappie fishing in the Barrie Marina, about the 4th row of docks, right in front of the brick marina building. 2lb line, spitshot with a #6 or #8 hook, tiny minnows or rubber grubs or maggots with a slip float set to about 4 feet. Mostly before sunrise or after supper to about 10pm. If I give you any more, I think someones gonna shoot me.

Edited by Fisherman

hey fyrguyry,

This winter was my first time ever catching a crappie. My buddy took me to a sweet and i mean sweet spot! We used crappie minnows, on a little crappie hook and a little splitshot. I would let the bait go to the bottom, reel it up a couple cranks, center your line in the hole and once you see it start to leave that center spot set your hook and its fish on! Make sure you have either another rod ready to go or take your fish off real fast so you can keep the school of fish close to your hole. I fished Little abuot a month ago with my buddy, i caught a little pike and he pulled out a couple of good sized crappie. We fished the same holes there the hole time. Some guys came down looking for crappie, drilling holes all over the place, which i admit is probably the best way to find them unless you just get lucky like we did. I wouldnt mind giong to little again to try and catch them lots of fun hooking in to them to!

If you can find the bottom of a little bowl or saddle, you might do OK there. If there's a good hump, boulder or sunken tree down there...get on top of it.

To be honest, I've seen where one or two holes produce all day while holes drilled 20 or 30 feet away get nothing. Be prepared to move around. Sometimes 10-20 yards is all it takes.

$10 says Bonghits forgot...

I thought "find the bottom of a little bowl or saddle, you might do OK there. If there's a good hump, boulder or sunken tree down there...get on top of it" was what he was after.

You can make the $10 cheque out to "Bonghits".