Lake Okeechobee last week

cthewrld

DSC_0015.jpgHere is a quick report from last week's day on Lake Okeechobee, Florida.

We arrived into Clewiston, Florida at around 6:45 a.m. and met our guide for the day, Angie Douthit. Angie is a professional guide, as well as a pro on the Women's Bassmaster tour.

After picking up six dozen shiners we launched the boat onto the lake and by around 8:00 a.m. we were fishing. We stuck mainly to the rim canal due to very high winds that day. We fished until around 1:00 p.m. and only fished with the live bait. Rigging was pretty much a Carolina rig fished on 7 foot rods with 20 pound fluorocarbon.

We fished a drop off point that went from around 3 feet near shore to approximately 10 feet in the middle of the canal. The water was relatively clear, and there were a decent number of weeds and lily pads in the area.

DSC_0018.jpg

Over the 5 hours we managed to land 19 largemouth. They ranged in size from the small end of around 1.5 pounds up to approximately 5 pounds. Most were in the 3 - 4 pound range. Not huge, but lot's of fun to fish for and catch.

Reports of the lake being too low, and not fishable, are pretty exaggerated. The lake averages around 10 feet deep, and there are millions of places to fish. It is the second largest lake in the U.S., with Lake Michigan being the largest.

DSC_0019.jpg

All in all, a great day ...... fantastic to be out on the lake and have the chance to land some largemouth.

If anyone heads down that way, I highly recommend the services of Angie. She was very professional and is incredibly knowledgeable about the sport.

Now I can't wait until June ........

Reports of the lake being too low, and not fishable, are pretty exaggerated.

There are reports about this lake having lower water levels than what is historic. There maybe lots of places to fish but I bet that the lake is not what it once was. Same as the everglades, a lot drier than they used to be because of water usage and drought. But I am not up to date on how things are down there recently so correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice report and pictures, nice to see them. :thumbsup_anim:

I hope so too Michael, I have a deep fondness for everything Florida.

If lucky then this winter has dealt the state enough rain to overcome any water shortages and maybe the next hurricane season will see some major rains, not wishing for any damaging winds, floods, tornadoes or fierce storms, just lots of moisture.