Buy a camper? maybe some deals?

OhioFisherman

Have I got a deal for you!!

I know a couple who are now living in their daughter's back yard...He's a retiree from INCO and she's an EX- Highschool principal ... they sold their house and bought a KICKASS R.V. with a tow behind horsetrailer to house his boat and truck & toys.

The one in the pics isn"t theirs... but it's just as big and probably much less luxurious...

Nonetheless they haven't been able to afford the fuel for their annual trip to Texas..for the past two years....

This is a dieing breed....I'm sure.

I'm afraid we'll be reading many more such stories in the near future.

Anybody in the market for a motorhome should be wringing their hands together with the hope of liquidation sales of new and used units.

It doesn't take long to figure out that living the life of freedom does not come cheap! Lets see... fuel at $1.07/litre, insurance fees, depreciation, interest rates, repairs, maintenance, camping fees of $40/night, storage costs. Almost cheaper to buy a Cadillac and sleep at Holiday Inns.

I did a lot of calculations about 17 years ago when we had one, it was a small motorhome but still it was costly.

A couple of my wife`s cousins have the big motor homes, one stopped here last year for a few days making the rounds visiting family from the Dallas-Fort Worth Texas area. They had budgeted 1500 bucks for fuel for their 40 foot motor home with a diesel pusher but expected to go well over.

Diesel was over 4 bucks a gallon in the area here like last week, and good mileage for a Tractor- trailer is in the 6 to 7 miles a gallon area, got to be the same for the Diesel campers. Theirs also had a separate diesel generator for electric.

A lot of people here struggling to keep their homes, the toys aren`t important now. I am constantly baffled by the news stories, one recently was a couple that bought like a 312,000 dollar home with an interest only loan, dude lost his job, falling property values have made the home worth like 40,000 less than they paid for it, and it`s not selling.

Interest only loans are like a crack addiction, the only one that will benefit is the pusher.