Pike Lure

I wouldn't worry to much about a pike. As it was mentioned before a decent grip behind the gill plates usually calms them down pretty quick. Keep your fingers away from the mouth, especially if it's still got the lure inside, they tend to thrash around pretty good when out of the water. If you can, leave it in the net as was previously stated, pull the hooks then get a quick pic.

Good luck!!!

If I get some free time this weekend I might head down and try my luck again.

Don't blame you for being nervous, Anton. Getting near a thrashing toothy thing with hooks hanging off it isn't exactly a day at the spa. :) Good luck!!

While we're on the subject of newbies and pike, I've been wondering - are those cradle nets like Lucky Strike makes actually useful? Or are they one of those "sounds good on paper, but they actually get in the road" things? Anyone have any experience either way?

Cant beat a slugo for sluggish pike !!! i once had a little 3 pounder twist in my hands and cut my finger before i could get it back into the water ... 3 weeks later and still with a very sore finger i got mad and squeezed the crap out of my finger ... POP out came a tooth from the litte crap.