lunch-time bite was great today

waterwolf

hit a small conservation reservoir for the 1st time this mornin' for some pike fishing and was really surprised by a few things. heres the list... MNR was present [nice to see]... the staff was very helpful showing me topo maps and knew the areas where guys were getting bit,,,,the small number of people on the ice [5]and lastly , the number of hits and the time they were hitting. the 1st hit came [ofcourse] when i was setting up rod#2 at 8:30 , agood hit ,just couldn't get there in time. that sucked because the next hit wasn't 'til almost noon. i dead-stick with sardines and even with relcating and reset-up it's a long time to wait for something to move. then something happened and the pike turned on . woooohooo ,8 hits in a little over an hour . iced 4 decent pike ,the smaller comes in at 23in. the largest was 29in. all nice healthy fish and were returned to the lake unscaved.lost my jaw spreaders somewhere and got it in thew thumb , nothin' serious . it's not much fun without pic's guys, my apologies .no camera present .

plan to try this local conserv . area again this weekend for the whole day to see what the twilight bite is like. bringin' a camera and fresh power this time . lol

Nice catch. I imagine the twilight bite will be slow to non existent but giant walleyes like to sit in with the pike so you never know. I guess they bite in the afternoon in colder months and ice fishing because it's the warmest time of the day and the water warms up a couple degrees, I find 11am-3pm is best but have caught lot's in the morning as well. I caught a pike same as my Avatar at dark in October but that was rare it was only my second night pike, and I remember a couple other guys on this board caught some at night this year but it's rare.