If I want to but more tackle...I gotta buy a water softener - NF

Call Culligan man in your area. Your water might have other minerals in it, that a regular softener will not take care of. Call Culligan and you can rent a softener/conditioner from them and still have lots left over in your fishing Budget.

Rod,

A bit of advice. It is ok to add a water softener. But do not add a reverse osmosis system as well if your house has copper piping.

I know of alot of people that have done this (as an upsell on a softener package) Ohhh we are here already we will only charge you this $$..

Do not do it. the problem with reverse osmosis and copper piping is the water actually is cleaning your copper piping, you are drinking whatever is in the pipes from over the years.

Do some Google research if so inclined...

I will talk to a couple of our plumbing and mechanical contractors and see what they recommend as a middle to high end range unit. We install these into all our homes that are not on a major municipal water system.

I will let you know.

G

I mentioned Culligan because it was the only one that came to mind. I wanted to make sure that you got the water tested and not go out and just buy any one of them. You can install all the softening stuff that you want if your water needs conditioning to be potable a softener will be no help.

Rod,

A bit of advice. It is ok to add a water softener. But do not add a reverse osmosis system as well if your house has copper piping.

I know of alot of people that have done this (as an upsell on a softener package) Ohhh we are here already we will only charge you this $$..

Do not do it. the problem with reverse osmosis and copper piping is the water actually is cleaning your copper piping, you are drinking whatever is in the pipes from over the years.

Do some Google research if so inclined...

I will talk to a couple of our plumbing and mechanical contractors and see what they recommend as a middle to high end range unit. We install these into all our homes that are not on a major municipal water system.

I will let you know.

G

Well, you are kinda right Gerritt. The reverse osmosis water is very aggresive and will eat copper lines, no question about it. Plus they waste a lot of water in the process, something ridiculous like 3 gallons to produce one. At any rate, thats why most people have the ro water only run to one tap, usually at the kitchen sink plumbed in with plastic pipe- no problems. I think all this ro stuff is overkill for the average home but it has its applications.

Water hardness will generally be dictated by where the water is drawn from. Groundwater from wells will usually be harder and contain larger amounts of things like iron that gets picked up as it filtres through the ground strata, water drawn from lakes and rivers will be softer as a rule. Rain water is true soft water.