Mnr Regs

Kerry

This is something that I've never quite understood.In the regs under the species listing for each division there is a gold box that says * except Dec 24. There is no reference anywhere that I can see other than species that are highlighted in gold writing.

Is Dec 24 an all Ontario sanctuary for all species or am I missing something in the regs?

Kerry

As was explained to me by my bud, a CO, they put that in the regs. so that when, or if, they have to modify any regulations or seasons, they can actually get it passed. If there was not a closed season for any fish, regardless of species, it would be a tough haul to amend the regulations, to get them passed through the provincial parliament hearings. So, with a one day closed season, if they have to modify the regs., its easier to get through, since there is a (albeit, a one day closure)closed season already in the regulations. If there was not that closed season, it would take the MNR a couple of years or more to get new regs passed.

I may be a bit off base here about it, but thats what I remember.

I don't know about perch specifically Kerry, I haven't looked at the regs. that close to know. There may not be a closed season for them where you are, I don't think there is a closed season for them where I am actually, but I am not going fishing today regardless.

We all have to consult the regulations to be sure of open seasons for any specific day. Perch are a very prolific fish, and need regs in place like any other, but I don't think there is a serious fear of them being fished out, as long as catch and possession limits are in place for them, and are followed by us fishermen.

Well I thought I might check out the docks here in Orillia considering the action there has been at the Barrie docks recently.I might just take a drive down and see if there's any life and if I see any then maybe Boxing Day will be casting for fish instead of shopping in crowds!Thanks for the replies guys-it would be nice if there was a paragraph written in the regs stating the Dec 24 exception for clarity though.

Kerry

As was explained to me by my bud, a CO, they put that in the regs. so that when, or if, they have to modify any regulations or seasons, they can actually get it passed. If there was not a closed season for any fish, regardless of species, it would be a tough haul to amend the regulations, to get them passed through the provincial parliament hearings. So, with a one day closed season, if they have to modify the regs., its easier to get through, since there is a (albeit, a one day closure)closed season already in the regulations. If there was not that closed season, it would take the MNR a couple of years or more to get new regs passed.

I may be a bit off base here about it, but thats what I remember.

More specifically, I believe that the province can change a season; but creating a closed season requires federal approval.

The regs didn't say anything for most species in Division 8....so my brother in law and I wet the lines for an hour today...not cause we expected to catch anything...but because we could. I cant think of a recent year when it was warm enough to do this on Christmas Eve.....

Merry Christmas everyone!!!