Sonar questions

Radnine

I know that I am going to sound like a moron on this one but here goes; how does one fish with a fish finder?

I know that they send out a cone shaped signal below the boat. The width of the cone depends on the depth of the water. But are they still of use if you are not fishing directly under your boat?

And lastly, if fish don’t show up on the finder should you move on?

If you are in 20 feet of water or less most fish will not show up on sonar. Instead of thinking of it as a " fish Finder" think of it as a structure locator it will help you identify weeds, drop offs, schoals and other structure fish hang out around.

One important thing to do is to turn the fish ID off and learn to interpret the signals as the are displayed on the screen. That way you will learn the difference between weeds, fish and structure.

Lowrance has an excellent emulator on there site that will help you interpert sonar signals and displays.

Edited by bucktail

Just because you see fish on a sonar unit doesn't mean they're gonna bite, and just because you don't see fish on a unit doesn't mean you aren't going to catch one!

Like others have said, they're very useful tools for finding bottom structure, drop offs, creek channels, thermoclines,schools of suspended fish, bait balls, bottom hardness (rock to soft mud), and water temp.

When drifting or trolling the unit will give you a picture of what your bait or lure will be passing thru.

There are many different transducers available now that can give you the ability to see to the side (side imaging), see a very detailed tight (small) cone circle very deep, and transducers with up to 8 beams for a huge picture in relatively shallow water.

In the boat you need deeper water to mark them and catch them.

Maybe in Canada, but not here. I catch plenty of fish I mark in 20' of water here, with just a dual beam transducer!

It does depend on what presentation you are using and what you're fishin for, casting for Bass... you won't mark fish unless you're using side imaging, but if you're drop-shotting for Crappie with a standard transducer you will mark and catch fish... if they're biting.

I would feel blind without a sonar/gps unit. Here are a few thoughts: Probably 1/3 the benefit of a sonar unit is knowing the depths, being able to locate and therefore follow breaks, weedlines, etc, etc. This can be accomplished with any inexpensive $100.00 sonar. It doesn't even need to be a color screen. Tournament fishermen and many serious anglers spend quite a bit more; up to $2,700/unit for a combo gps/sonar and most tournament boats have at least 2 units. This gives them the benefit of being able to locate fish in multiple ways. One can actually cruise a lake up to 20 mph and locate suspended fish or even fish on the bottom if they know what to look for. Also, the increased wattage, quality transducer, color screen, and higher pixel screen count allows the angler to see the separation between fish and the bottom even when they are hugging the bottom as well as to identify changes in bottom composition. The gps allows one to mark waypoints in wide open expanses, so one can either return to that spot, or avoid fishing over the same path, etc etc. To be used purely as a sonar one does not require more than a 5" screen; to be used as a sonar/gps, well, it's a function of your age but a 7" screen is about the minimum I'd recommend for middle aged eyes. I have two mid range Lowrance units on my boat, both have proven themselves many times. I have such confidence in them that I rarely fish deeper water ( 20' or more) if I'm not marking fish.

I use my sonar/gps as a tool to confirm where I suspect the fish are. In other words, given the conditions, time of year, and species, I develop a game plan. Then I use my sonar in those areas until I find them, then I try to develop the pattern to catch them. Even the best unit is only a tool, it can't replace the fisherman's knowledge. As was mentioned, there are some excellent tutorials on-line.