Fizzing a fish

nelly

Anyone on the board know how to fizz a fish? I have caught perchs from simcoe during ice-fishing and they have their air bladder coming out of there mouth. I have slow down to bring them up so they will not have the bends. Also on deeper lakes, I have had afew the same way with other fish. 30+ feet and deeper.

Anyone on the board know how to fizz a fish? I have caught perchs from simcoe during ice-fishing and they have their air bladder coming out of there mouth. I have slow down to bring them up so they will not have the bends. Also on deeper lakes, I have had afew the same way with other fish. 30+ feet and deeper.

It's best to just bring them up slowly.

We do fizz fish when deep sea fishing, the mate usually does it but I've watched and done it a few times. It's like anything else, you have to practice at it to get the "sweet spot". A few won't make it on your first tries, but they were dead anyway. You'll feel the air hiss out of the hypodermic needle when you hit the correct spot and the fish will take off for bottom when released.

Here is some info on it:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/Fizzing.pdf

I've never fizzed a fish, but I burped a musky one time that couldn't get back down below the water surface. It was a fairly fast landing and a quick release, but he was just swimming along on top. I'd read about burping fish to expell air and figured this fish could be a good candidate to try it on.

I turned him on his side and put his back against my boat right at the surface, then held him in place with one hand and gently pushed in on his belly in several places until I actually heard him burp.

I then held him upright, gave a little push and off he swam down to the deep water as happy as could be :thumbsup_anim:

Don't know if it was actually the burping that did the trick or not, but I'd like to think so. ;)

A hypodermic needle works the best it is important to make as small as possible hole. There are debates like anything else to the effectiveness of fizzing but I tend to agree with GCD that if the fish is already in trouble an attempt save the fish is warranted. The best solution would be to bring the fish up slower and yes you may lose a few on the way up but you wouldn't lose as many on the release.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmas...zzing_procedure

GCD, I think I got it but just to be 100% When I am going through the mouth, am I suppose to puncture the bladder and slowly let the gas come out of the needle?

Where to insert the needle is a debate in itself Nelson, some like to go thru the mouth (not good with a fish with a mouth full of teeth), some like to go just ahead of the anal vent, we go in about a half inch behind the pectoral fin.

You need to study up on that particular species of fishes anatomy so you'll know the exact shape and location of the air bladder.

Like I mentioned before, it'll be "trial and error" until you get the hang of it... but bringing the fish up slowly is the best option.