temagami

buckster

Ive never fished up on temagami, can anyone recomend a good operator to go with. That will put u on fish with half decent cabins etc... Really wanna try to get up in a couple of weeks, mid weed. We are also fully loaded with all the toys if maybe there is some sort of guide without huts.. any feedback is appreciated thanks in advance

buckster

When you say "cabins"... do you mean a cabin... and shuttled to an ice hut... or an on the ice bungalow? The only bungalow operator I know of, but I'm sure there's probably one more, is John Harding. I forgot to bring home a phone book.. so you'd have to try information for a number.

Many of the lodges in the hub have accoms and huts out. Loon Lodge, Ketchenany Lodge, TAMAR, Lynda's Wigwams on Bear Island rents for I believe a $100 a night for a cottage and you can contact thru her husbands email [email protected] I know Ketchenany's hut has satelitte radio and I think Troutnmuskiehunter and his party of 3 or 4 got hit for $800 for Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Guess the new owner has to pay for the place somehow.

There are others on the lake as well... Fang probably knows them well. There is also the option of staying at Temagami Shores in the village and they shuttle you out in the big box to the huts... that are probably out around O'Connor Island or Ferguson Island by now.

Other option is finding somewhere to stay and going it on our own... do you have sleds?

Here's a link for accoms in temagami... looks like it has everyone I mentioned and then some... except John harding

http://www.temagamivacation.com/accom/index.asp

Edited by irishfield

thanks irishfield..... Yes we do have sleds and portable huts. If we do go that route i would have to do a lot of homework on the lake. When i said cabins i mean cottages. Not to keen on the bungalows. Do any of these lodges put thier huts in decent areas. There would probably be 2 of us and we dont wanna be raked over the coals for $800 Would u recommend any of the lodges?

I've never stayed in any of them. Told Loon lodge is okay. I stop there most days in the summer for a cold pop,for the 12 mile run down the NE Arm..... so I've seen the dining room/store/kitchen and it's CLEAN. Moosebunk uses TAMAR when he goes there in the winter. Temagami Shores Inn is a $100 or so a night for a room. They do have a ice fishing package. Pull up their website and I think it gives rates. They rebuilt all their huts for last season.. still not the greatest, but I think Larry puts huts on much better spots than Bill use to do when he was looking after them. It's a BIG lake and it's called fishing...so never any guarantee. Last year 5 of us fished 3 days and pulled up 5 or 6 fish... had a blast none the less.

I'd imagine huts are being moved to the fish this year, with favourable surface conditions. Last two years it was impossible.

Also the option of doing some smaller back lakes for splake and brookies, Cassels Lake for trout/eyes... Rabbit Lake for same... speaking of which Gramps has bungalows on Rabbit Lake. Gramps Bait and Tackle...suspect should be under Temagami in the phone book or Martin River.

Jim at Dad's Outdoor Store will point you in the right direction for back lakes that you can access. [email protected] Tell him Wayne told you to email him and he'll help you out a tad more. He may be in Labrador on a Caribou hunt right now though....