Gold Mining on a lake

Stoggie2

I found out this summer that there will be "exploaratory" gold mining at the lake in Western Ontario that I take a trip to every summer. This has become a yearly adventure that I have been able to enjoy with my father and friends. Now, I'm wondering what to expect when I return this year, and there's gold mining going on at the lake. Has anyone ever run into a situation like this? Obviously there will be some affect on the lake itself, but by what degree?

that big disk is basically a sonar for the ground and like you said its used to search for gold and diamond......they normally run it in a grid pattern....I'm not sure of the technical name for the disks but i'm sure somebody here will know it

I'm not sure about the newer technology but there are a few places North of Elliott Lake where there are some old mines. I would guess they were small operations by todays standards but there seemed to be minimal damage to the local area around the mine, in fact unless you knew there was a mine there you'd probably walk within 100' of it and miss it. We use to get our ice to pack our fish on in the summer from one of them (dangerous but we didn't go very far into the shaft).

Anyway, I hope it doesn't mess up your annual fishing trip!

Stoggie welcome to OFC.

As long as it is "EXPLOARATORY" then the impact will be small because they want to keep the costs down. But if they find enough for a full opperation you might want to find another spot. The Tailing piles will take out alot of forest which will have run off or the added Prosessing Plant and the ponds.

This is not including the damage from the roads or getting power to the mining opperation.

The good news is when their done the Tailings has to go back into the mine, the forest replanted and people will have jobs.

l was in minning for almost 2yrs and switched to landscapeing for 20yrs. l hope this balances out my Karmma.

Peace Ken

You can always pray that they hit a Aqua Duct or a big crack in the rock that go's right to the lake