Boat buying tips

mistaredone

I'm looking to buy a cheap 14 footer with a 9.9 and now is probably the best time to find one. I have lots of experience breaking and fixing rentals over the years but all has been in the water. When buying a boat in the winter what should I be looking out for? Hull and trailer? Can you start a motor out of water? If not how do you know if the motor works? Assuming it floats what should I expect $ wise to drop into it the first year? I have storage. I know its always buyer beware but its so easy when your so excited to over look things. Any tips would be great.

Not an expert here:

Motors can be started out of the water. Some motors have a water hose hookup, just let the water run at low pressure.

Others take water too but require mufflers them to keep the water in the engine.

The problem I can see with these approachs is that freezing water is bad so who is going to subject their motor to water that may freeze in it.

there are also tubs that motors can be but in and run...just like the repair shop.

forrest

Hey you should go to the boat & fishing show next week,im sure you will be able to get a deal or at least get to know what things are going for !!! i know several people who have bought at shows like that and have got amazing deals that they would not have got anywhere else at any time,so its just an idea,i hope that will help good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: