First Ice Fishing trip...

addy79

do i really need to buy ice fishing line? or will my regular mono or braided spiderwire do the job?

what size jig heads should i pick up?

im fishing nippising this weekend if that makes any difference. any other tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

do i really need to buy ice fishing line? or will my regular mono or braided spiderwire do the job?

what size jig heads should i pick up?

im fishing nippising this weekend if that makes any difference. any other tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

regular mono will do. i don't typically use anything heavier than 8lb. usually 4, 6, & 8lb. i am not a fan of braid for ice fishing as it absorbs lots of water, freezes and makes a mess of your reel. i do primarily fish outside, so if you're in a shack the braid should be fine.

1/8 & 1/4 oz jig heads will cover most of your needs

Stay away from the ice lines...the regular mono works just fine.

Pick up a couple of Williams Ice Jigs...the nu-wrinkle silver/gold is a productive lure anywhere in the province.

54.gif

Also, the Buckshot Rattle spoons in the larger size are effective for many species. (Silver Shiner or Glo Perch are my favorites)

BuckShotRattleSpoonPalette.gif

Blue Fox Rattle Flash Jig-n-Spoons are effective as well with more of a flutter than the Buckshot...

rattle_flash_jign_gp.jpg

Throw in some Swedish pimples

250-797-03.jpg

Mr Champs and/or Kastmasters and you are good to go!

LJ-MrChampt.jpg

FTS%20KASTMASTER.jpg

Keep active on your rods and set lines ensuring that you are constantly jig-jig-pausing and also that you check the minnows on the set lines regularly to make sure they are lively or a Perch hasn't stolen them...you should have lots of success!

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I haven't gotten to Nipissing in the last couple years, but when I did I found that the Swedish Pimple in chartruese colour worked very well. Always been the Nipissing producer for me. If you are putting out a tip-up/set line I'd recommend a 2 or 3 way spreader. My fav way is to hook the minnows behind the dorsal fin " make sure not to hit the spine" and have them facing the same way so they can swim around a bit and not be swimming against each other.Also helps to keep the minnows the same size to keep the spreader from going lopsided. I assume you'll be targeting walleye so be sure to be fishing very close to bottom. No more then 6" off is a good start. Has always worked for me.

Take care and awaiting the report.

Stay away from the ice lines...the regular mono works just fine.

Keep active on your rods and set lines ensuring that you are constantly jig-jig-pausing and also that you check the minnows on the set lines regularly to make sure they are lively or a Perch hasn't stolen them...you should have lots of success!

Tony

thanks for all the info Tony, i'll put it to good use.