Mattaw area help

bigdaddydb

I'm a new member here and I registered to see if I could get a little info. My dad lives in Mattawa and I'm coming up from Ohio on the 14 to stay at his place which is right on the river. I can't wait to get some ice fishing in with my father in-law who is coming with me. I plan on fishing the mattawa a little bit but I usually only catch pike and bass there in the summer and am interested in walleye and perch. I will only have one solid day to make a trip to another fishing spot and I would appreciate if someone could give me some ideas in the area. I have a clam 5600 shelter but probably no motorized transportation other than my truck. Would be willing to trade some cheap american goods for some good fishing spots! Thanks in advance.

Don

Get a map of the river.

Search out 30'holes and stay away from water between the islands and shore on the narrow side.

Current can be deadly and unseen.

If you fish the breaks on lac chant plein you may get lucky.

I can't be more serious about the current on the back side of islands.....STAY AWAY :stretcher:

Ask the locals abouot ice conditions they are usually helpful

There should be some lake trout in some of the lakes in that area. The folks in the local stores don't mind chatting about fishing conditions and locations. Try the hardware store right on the highway before you get to town.

Walleye are prized by the locals...and get a fair bit of fishing pressure. I've fished the upper Mattawa near lake Champlain Provincial park. There are walleye there but they are not an easy catch. I fished underneath the dam by the paper mill about two years ago and got to chatting to a local. He complained how there used to be lots of Walleye in the river. That part of the river is narrow. My bet would be bigger bodies of water. If it were me, I ask my dad for local contacts, perhaps after a call or two you may even get an invitation. I'm sure there are walleye there and in some places good numbers, but I am also sure that you are going to have a hard time finding them by yourself.

I know we used to catch Walleye in Rolphton ( might be wrong spelling) in spring and summer below the Dam. I actually caught a tagged 2000 Millenium fish winning 2000 dollars. I am not sure if the water is open or not and if there is successful ice fishing in the winter. Id be curious to Know. Its not too far from Mattawa