Red Cedar Lake

Tree worker

Was there last spring with Beats, the lake supports good walleye, pike and smallmouth fishing.

Not exactly remote. Saw quite a bit of boat traffic. Talk to locals and lodge owners in regards to catching the walleye. There are lots of small bays with weeds and sunken timber that are mini pike factories.

Watch out for sunken logs and rocks.

We had a good time, would go back again.

Hang in there... at least one member has a cottage on it, and many have fished it.

Found at least one thread using the search function

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...mp;hl=red+cedar

That would be me. Wayne's put up a couple of nice aerial photos of parts of the lake. As you can see it isn't a remote lake, it's accessible by car so it does get some traffic. The lake is approx. 16 miles long but it has plenty of shoreline. Fishing is generally fairly good for walleye, pike and smallmouth but they can be finicky at times.

My brother & I spent 4 days on Red Cedar in May '99, and the fishing was terrible, but for a very good reason......there was no water in the lake :w00t:

Evidentely they drain alot of the water out of that entire lake system up there in the fall to allow for the heavy snow melt in the springtime. They drained the lake down, but then there was very little snow that year to replenish them, and they stayed low well into the summer.

You can see in these pictures how low the water was, the docks are sitting high and dry and evidentely the water normally is right up to where the grass is.

As I said, the fishing was terrible because of the conditions, but it was still a gorgeous lake and I'm sure the fishing is excellent when the water is at normal levels.

Sorry I can't offer anything better.....

Jan3102.jpg

Jan3101.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

We were there for May 24, 2007. It was our first time and it was darn cold especially in the mornings. Despite the weather, we had moderate success for walleye (at sun up and sun down) off the points near one of the islands which I believe is called Swan Island. Maybe one of the more experienced Red Cedar fisherman can correct me on this. I don't have a map of the lake so I can't be any more specific than that.

We had the most success using green (redeye) jigs with minnows at about 10-25 feet off those points.

Although I would have never believed it, trolling along the shores with a red/gold Cleo (near Swan Island?) caught my friend a few nice walleyes.

Were heading back this May for a second round and hoping for an even more productive weekend....