hand-auger blades

waterwolf

my pals gas auger was acting up a bit in the garage friday night so i thought i'd bring a back-up. good thing, saturday she'd die as soon as you put load on the throttle . i babied it through 4 holes and noticed 2 predrilled. once set-up and fishing for a while i ventured off 100 ft and cut a few more holes . it worked o.k. but it's cut better . sorry long way 'round to the question . is it possible to but a new edge on your blades or toss 'em and buy new each year ?

It is possible to sharpen them back to scary sharp with the correct tools. those "toothed" blades can be sharpened with rod style sharpeners, A spyderco sharpmaker works really well DMT sets and a range of sandpaper on a flat surface will work.

Then again its easier just to buy new ones, but i'll be sharpening mine.

i've always just bought new ones but seems like a waste to toss 'em just because they're dull . but i don't have the tools or if i did ,the know-how .lol . screw with that cutting angle and your buyin' new anyway, sharp or not. thought maybe someone might do that at an outdoors store or something related . i got a $50 gift card at can .tire so those blades just got real cheap. thanks for feed -back guys.

I have tried to sharpen them a few times but without much success then someone told me they are hollow ground (whatever that means) and unless you have special equipment you can never get them as good as if they are new. If my auger does start to get dull, I just buy new blades.