elec trolling motor power use

forrest

I have been reading up on trolling motors and came across something a bit odd.

Minn Kota promotes a "digital maximizer", technology that allows the motor to consume varying amounts of power so that power consumed is closer to the power output. I as thinking huh? its not like this is high tech or new technology, how come all of the motors are not built like that?

So my questions:

I have never owned a trolling motor, are they usually run at full speed? (that would mean that there would be no power savings)

Is is there a company that sells retro-fit kits for existing old-style motors?

AND

Is this technology available elsewhere but just not advertised?

forrest

Edited by forrest

Guest skeeter99

nope and nope

the maximizer works well I have one, but on my old motorguides they had a thing HBP meaning high speed bypass(switch position on side) your battery would be dead as a doornail you flick the switch and you would get another hour and half out of the battery

so i guess it is or was the same technology just minn kota had it on all the time and motorguide you turned it on when you needed it

I have had both motorguide and minn kota

minn kota is better in the slop and easier on your batteries

motorguides get caught up eaisier in the slop and they use alot of battery power compred to a minn kota unit

I checked the minn kota site, No retro-fits? That is not cool. This is strictly a speed controller device: Any electric motor guys out there that can confirm this?

With the price of trolling motors being what they are....has anyone tried to retro-fit their motor with a homemade or third part controller?

forrest

If anyone is not sure what we are on about here:

-normally (the old way) a speed controller always takes 100% battery power from the battery and either routes it to the motor and/or a resistor (that turns it into heat). More power going to the resistor means less power/speed for the motor

-with digital control the resistor is replaced with a transistor (it blocks electricity instead of turning it into heat). A small computer chip (50cents worth of computer) rapidly turns the transistor on/off so it switches (pulses) between 100% and 0%. No power is wasted as heat, the motor uses only what it needs and the battery lasts A LOT longer.

cost of the parts: I am guess $25 for high quality components.

Edited by forrest

I think I have an old maximiser unit in the barn, don`t think I ever had it hooked up to anything.

Using an electric trolling motor depends on a lot of things, wind, obviously you will be on the pedal more to control position, wave action from boat traffic, same deal. How big of a hurry you are in, if I am familier with a lake and have a good idea which spots tend to hold fish I don`t move around as much. In close quarters around boat docks flipping I have the motor turmed down low so not to spook fish as much.

I also try to plan an approach to an area, cut the gas motor and drift into a spot using the electric only when I feel I have to.

Edited by OhioFisherman