Florida Bass - Spawning?

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I am heading down to FLA Feb 13-18, and I was wondering what stage the Bass would be in down there?

I have read that they spawn in Jan-Feb, but also heard March-April.

Also, what techniques work best for the lunker females this time of the year? (Whether pre, post or spawning)

Thanks in advance!

*Stoty

Stoty just from what I have heard December thru February is big bass time down there, even if they are not spawning they are carrying eggs(increased weight).

Although they all maybe preparing to spawn not all do at the same time so the tactics can vary, sight fishing, actually targeting fish on beds, not real fond of that method. Flip a lure on or near the bed and bother them, jig and pig, lizard, soft plastics that imitate bluegill or something else that eats their eggs. It can take repeated casts to the same bed(fish) to provoke them.

They will stage outside of the spawning area at times, area of deeper water near the spawning beds, doesn`t have to be a lot deeper( the first edge ). Regular tactics may work for ones not on bed, they may be feeding getting ready to bed. Large baits sometimes down there than here, just bigger fish. 8-10 inch plastic worms, lizards, heavy line, strong hooks, ambush feeders for the most part, cover, lilys, grass. wood, docks.

Stoty unless you have some time on your hands the quickest way to go there and gets results is to hire a guide and shiner fish. Just the fastest way of a good chance of a lunker, 8 to 12 pound fish, had friends that have done it with good results. Tackle is supplied, wild shiners I believe were extra like a buck a piece.

i was down at lake okeechobee 2 years ago for all of jan-feb. fishing everyday for crappie,using small minnows ($2 a quarter pound ). what i found surprising is how few largemouth i caught.

if your targeting bass you can't beat a big ole shiner (going for a buck each,,,ouch)

Using a guide was fun, because of the amount of fish you catch, but it doesnt take any skill at all.

I have hired a guide the past 2 times I have gone down there, both times with decent results (see my avatar picture).

This time, I have done some research and want to catch the fish on my own, using artificials.

Not only will I save myself $250, but also get the satisfaction of getting some decent fish because of skill.