Fishing In Punta Cana !

davew3

Hey folks, my wife and I and some freinds have decided to do Christmas in Punta Cana. :thumbsup_anim: I am taking down a medium collaspible rod and some basic tackle, jigs, spoons,rattletraps. Does any one know some spots down there where I could do some casting? piers, rocks? Also is there any bass fishing there and are there any regulations I should know about? I may also do a deep sea charter as well, cost depending. Last time I was in Porta Plata I did a charter and ended up with a 7 ft sailfish. It was a blast.

Any info would be appreciated and I wll be taking the camera to post pics when I get back.

Happy HO HO to all :santa:

Try to get your hands on some fresh/live shrimp or crab and fish it on bottom with a sliding sinker. You should get plenty of action from the beach neary rocky points. I haven't been to Punta Cana, but what I mentioned is a basic saltwater fishing set-up that should work anywhere, they love shrimp and crab.

Tony

Hey Dave ,what dates you going to be there? I will be there from Dec 31st to jan 7th . Staying at IFA Bavara village.

I go somewhere warm every year and always bring the rod. Be sure to wash it off after each outing with fresh water or the salt will destroy your reel. You pretty well got the basics covered in tackle , use some good snelld hooks as the bait stays on better. If you are a good talker then go to the kitchen and see if you could have a few raw shrimp for bait. Usually no problem with a little tip involved. ;)you can walk the beach for miles down there and you are bound to find some sort of small pier to walk out on or just wade out wherever you see a reef, there are usually tons of fish there.

Last year at the Allegro we found some guys that took us out for a fish on a catamaran. I believe it was $50 US. we were out for a couple of hours . What a blast. Good luck, let me know when you are going. Can't wait for your report....Thom

I would take a pspinning rod med light spooled with some powerpro or fireline or berkley big game. Take a variety of hook sizes especially some circle hooks. Alot of the locals will sell you there conch shell scraps cheap. If you are into flyfishing a 8wt perfect and a 9wt is even better. If your lucky you may see some bonefish tailing early in the morning and you should catch a good variety of jacks. If you need anymore help shoot me a email as I could take up a page with tips and techniques as I have done alot of saltwater fishing.

Cheers and good luck Jeff

Sirfish, we are leaving this Sat and returning on the 31st, at like 1 am. I am looking forward to this I just fear of hooking into something large. I guess an extra spool of line would be a good idea.

Jeffw, I have done some casting in Florida but all we caught was sea trout, bones would be interesting.

I really don't know but if I catch something do you think a 5 star would cook it up?

We are staying at the Riu Taino. This should be a blast. Lots of pics to be posted of both the beach and fish I hope! Does anyone know where you can buy terminal tackle down there in case my pole explodes ? :lol:

Last time I was in Porta Plata I did a charter and ended up with a 7 ft sailfish. It was a blast.

Dave - do you still have the info of who you chartered with in Puerto Plata - we are down there Jan 20 - 27 and I have one booked but would like to book a 2nd charter as well.

Good luck and looking forward to your report so I can see what to pack :santa:

Steve_Paul, no I do not know who they were. We took a chance with some guy selling on the beach. But I did not pay until I was on the boat. He was cheaper then what the hotel was going to hook us up with. They picked us up, food and booze was included. They took six of us out right from Porta Plata. But take the rum runner trip while you are there if you get a chance. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well back fro Punta Cana. It was a great way to spend a week. On the beach, 30 degrees and sunny every day. I was not able to do any fishing though. The charters were not something I was interested in and it is just all beach with thousands of people. I did see one guy tossing a hand line a night once. Being a Riu resort (of which there are five beside each other) the prices for any activity is high. If you take the family bring your credit card. Also when bringing booze back put it in your checked luggage as you cannot carry it on the plane.

As soon as I download some pics I will add a couple.

Happy New Year all.