Warning to ice fishermen!

bigfish1965

With much above temps coming and some rain and strong winds, be safe and be smart. The ice may become dangerous quickly. Most lakes only have 6 or less inches of ice and this will melt quickly once the rain knocks the snow insulation down.

Don't be another statistic!

Good point Rick. There are some places on Nipissing that are still thin. With the mild spell it will make it even more unpredictable. Increased current flows after the mild spell is over will continue to erode ice for a while even after the cold returns.

I'll be fishing Saturday for perch then lakers and whitefish and then again on Sunday. Will let you know the ice conditions. Personally I have my doubts the warm spell with rain will do much but add to the ice as the nights will be below freezing and any rain during the short day will become more ice at night.

That being said, don't go on the ice unless you know the conditions below you!

Guest gbfisher

What info Vans is talking about was from People who have been out this year and know the ice where they are fishing.

The weather keeps turning. They called for warm temps. Ever day now they are calling for lower temps. No double digits.

The weather men......lol...Eh Vans,,,,, :thumbsup_anim:

Let's hope they keep on changing it..... to COLD!!!

You have to be careful on all types of ice. It's always changing!!

:Gonefishing:

I do agree with you GB. The ice is always changing and really is never safe. I have seen 30" of ice and suddenly a new pressure crack form. In these mild temps you can lose ice and if this was late February or March then the temps would have a greater effect. This is due to the amount of daylight hours. Currently we have about 8 hours of daylight and if the high for the day was say 7 degrees and the low was -2 then the day would look something like this. -2 befor daylight then rising to 0 the first two hours then rising to 4 the next two hours then rising to 7 the next two hours and then droping to 0 the next two hours when it turns dark again, and then -2 for the next 16 hours. At this time of the year if you get rain during the day then at night that would turn to ice. Here is the weekend according to Accuweather for Barrie.

Saturday a high of +1 for a 7 hour period

Sunday a high of +5 for a 1 hour period and above zero for a 12 hour period

For me I will fish for Perch Whitefish and Lakers on Saturday where I know the ice is solid.

On Sunday I will fish for Perch and then I won't go on the laker and whitefish grounds until the next cold front after Friday.

Edited by Vanselena

I do agree with you GB. The ice is always changing and really is never safe. I have seen 30" of ice and suddenly a new pressure crack form. In these mild temps you can lose ice and if this was late February or March then the temps would have a greater effect. This is due to the amount of daylight hours. Currently we have about 8 hours of daylight and if the high for the day was say 7 degrees and the low was -2 then the day would look something like this. -2 befor daylight then rising to 0 the first two hours then rising to 4 the next two hours then rising to 7 the next two hours and then droping to 0 the next two hours when it turns dark again, and then -2 for the next 16 hours. At this time of the year if you get rain during the day then at night that would turn to ice. Here is the weekend according to Accuweather for Barrie.

For me I will fish for Perch Whitefish and Lakers on Saturday where I know the ice is solid.

On Sunday I will fish for Perch and then I won't go on the laker and whitefish grounds until the next cold front after Friday.

Be sure to strap a 2x4 to your butt! :whistling:

Well stated, puts things into a different perspective, thank you for your clarification

John

Edited by Mr JR