anyone still steelheading?

ricoboxing

The creek is only 5 mins from my doorstep, and I have fished it only a few times (without any luck). So this year I would like to start steelheading in the creek, but Im not sure where to start. I have a 6 foot spinning rod. I know I have to get some fluro leaders, tiny split shot, and steelhead hooks. What else do I need to get a fish? Thanks for your help!

I'm no expert by any means but here is what works for me.

I have a 10 foot fiber glass rod that is heavey, completely non flexable and quite old. I pair that with a cheep canadian tire reel (granted he reel is very annoying and gets replaced every so often).

I use 8 lb mono. I dont even know what the point of a leader is. I use those steelhead hooks as you say. octopus or round tear drop shaped ones, usually gold in colour - size 10 or 12 maybe ? i dont remember. I like to use those clear pastic floats i think they are cale "slip floats" though the last time I went i used the classic red and wite bobbers and it worked well enough. FYI - find a pool just bellow a rapids or just before a rapids, and cast up stream then let the bait "drift" through the pool before you reel it in again.

with the roe presentation I usually clip on 4 tiny split shot about 4 or 5 inches appart starting 4 inches above the hook.

I have caught them using biege, oragne, and pink coloured roe bags. roe is very exensive buying it premade at cdn tire though! 5.99$ for maybe 6 pieces! Alot of guys talk about using "pink worms" .. I dont know what that is. i suspect its a berlky type power bait or something, rubber worms that smell all fish foody and such. probably about 2 or 3 inches long.

There is always using flyhooks, i used to tip my flys with trout power bait squishy balls. that worked pretty good for rainbows in small creeks.

As too if any one is still at it. I was down at the cobourg brook for 2 hours or so a few days ago. there were 11 people fishing it including my self. I didnt get any how ever the guy beside me got a real heavty lookin hunk of steel. maybe 20-25 inches or so.

any way. as I said I am no expert and there are probably plenty of things you could do different but thats what I do for the most part.

Edited by kingjames_2nd

Hey Rico

You helped me out with Canoe spots this past summer. I live close by to Osh Creek and float fish there from time to time. I do have a few spots I like to try out there. Problem is today (Wed and Thurs) will be freezing...your line will freeze up after every drift...not much fun. Looking at the long range, I may be able to make it out on Sunday. Let me know if that works for you....the creek may have frozen up by then but I'll check (or you can) the conditions on Saturday afternoon and we can make a call then. I can bring roe bags for you if you dont have fresh roe. Let me know what you think.

Cliff

You can get roe at Gagnon's on Bloor street at Park. They are also quite knowledgeable there & can help you select floats, hooks etc...

A 6ft rod is a wee bit short for float fishing, and you'll find that you'll have a lot of slack to reel in before you can set the hook which can cause you to miss a lot of bona fide hits. It's still worth a try, to see if you like it; but once you decide you like it enough, I would go no shorter than 9ft. If you foresee getting more and more interested in the sport, then definitely go longer (up to 15ft!). The 2 most important functions of so much length is 1) ability to control slack for better hook sets while floatfishing and 2) more overall flexibility allows you to use lighter line with fewer breaks. I would not overlook pink worms, jigs and wetflies as viable tools with which to catch steelhead. Medium to small sized night crawlers, too.

With a 6ft setup you may find it more effective to bottom bounce. You can also use small spinners and banana baits (flatfish) in slower, deeper water. Bright colours when the water is dirty, natural colours when it's clear. Bigger baits in dirty water, smaller baits in clear. This goes for anything you are fishing with from roe to spoons, as a general rule.

Presently, the Shwa creek is only open from Hwy2 (Bloor Street) to Lake O. It will open up all the way to its headwaters again on the 4th Saturday in April.

I've fished the section below Hwy2 a lot over the past couple of years, and I can tell you that it's worthwhile walking it up and down and fishing the deeper drifts. PM me if you'd like specifics :)

p.-

Edited by Paulus

yesterday i took the dog for a walk, and the creek was wide open from the mouth all the way up. that'll probably change in the next couple of days though. weekend should be warm again, so i'll probably go then. if its still frozen, then i guess its off to the hardwater for me.

Hey Rico

You helped me out with Canoe spots this past summer. I live close by to Osh Creek and float fish there from time to time. I do have a few spots I like to try out there. Problem is today (Wed and Thurs) will be freezing...your line will freeze up after every drift...not much fun. Looking at the long range, I may be able to make it out on Sunday. Let me know if that works for you....the creek may have frozen up by then but I'll check (or you can) the conditions on Saturday afternoon and we can make a call then. I can bring roe bags for you if you dont have fresh roe. Let me know what you think.

Cliff

If you don't want your line to freeze up the guides you have to get this magic balm called Stanley's Ice Off paste. I was going to try it on New Years Eve but it didn't seem cold enough. However I made a deal with the tackle store clerk if it worked fine, if it didn't I was coming back for a refund, he still sold it to me swearing it works.... I trust him because I know he doesn't want me coming back in for that refund when the store is full on a Saturday afternoon screaming LOL.

If you don't want your line to freeze up the guides you have to get this magic balm called Stanley's Ice Off paste. I was going to try it on New Years Eve but it didn't seem cold enough. However I made a deal with the tackle store clerk if it worked fine, if it didn't I was coming back for a refund, he still sold it to me swearing it works.... I trust him because I know he doesn't want me coming back in for that refund when the store is full on a Saturday afternoon screaming LOL.

Hey..thanks for the tip! I'll have to look for it....after I see the results from your testing...LOL. Lemme know how it works for you!

smashin some steel mon and tues went 11 for 14 nice solid fish to cold today likely locked solid again.went to virgina beach on simcoe instead.i like to keep steelheading pretty simple 10.5 rod used to absorb the shock on the line.8 lb main line 4-6 floro leader trout can be line shy plastic float run shot beneath the float large to small stop atleast a foot from the hook i use a #12 hook for floatin roe or pink worms.sometimes beadhead jigs aka wooly buggers or other flys small tube jigs expierment find what works for u.

Oshawa is open right now, and with the warm weather coming it looks good long range. There are some alright numbers pushing through right now, but i can tell you right off that they will not be in the places you would expect. Been fishing oshawa since i was 5 with my dad, PM if you want some tips.