sonar installation question

lew

Hey boyz, I'm reading over the manual for my new sonar ( Lowrance X510c ) and it says I should install an on / off switch to prevent electrolosis from happening in the power cable. Evidentely this can happen even if the unit is shut off if it isn't hooked to a switch.

Just so I'm clear on this......

Would I install a toggle switch on the dashboard and run the positive lead from the sonar to one side of it, then come off the other side and go to the fuse panel, and then run the negative wire from the unit straight to ground ??

And one other question.......

I always take my GPS ( Globalmap 7200 ) outta the boat at the end of the day, but the manual says if it's going to be left in the boat continuously, it should also be connected to a switch as the antenna is still drawing juice from the battery even when turned off.

Could I hook the GPS & sonar both to the same switch and then ground them both together ??

Any thoughts ??

Hey boyz, I'm reading over the manual for my new sonar ( Lowrance X510c ) and it says I should install an on / off switch to prevent electrolosis from happening in the power cable. Evidentely this can happen even if the unit is shut off if it isn't hooked to a switch.

Just so I'm clear on this......

Would I install a toggle switch on the dashboard and run the positive lead from the sonar to one side of it, then come off the other side and go to the fuse panel, and then run the negative wire from the unit straight to ground ??

And one other question.......

I always take my GPS ( Globalmap 7200 ) outta the boat at the end of the day, but the manual says if it's going to be left in the boat continuously, it should also be connected to a switch as the antenna is still drawing juice from the battery even when turned off.

Could I hook the GPS & sonar both to the same switch and then ground them both together ??

Any thoughts ??

You are correct in how to power the unit, the only thing I would add is when you gather power from the battery to the switch put in an inline fuse.

You can power the sonar and GPS to the same switch.

Remember to run your transducer cable away from any power source.

Transducer installation is a whole other discussion.

hey lew,,,ya always want to have the fuse before the switch,,,so it would go,,,battery-fuse-switch-unit....

and as for hooking them up together,,,i don't see a problem other then an interferance problem arising,,,as for electrical no problem,,,but don't forget the larger the load the larger diameter wire you will need to carry it!

Nope, no master switch on my boat Wayne, everything runs off seperate switches. I disconnected the livewell and now use that switch to power some interior lights that I installed for night fishing.

When I remove my current sonar, that will free up a spot on the fuse panel to hook up the new one.

Livewell/Lurebox... :lol::D

Hey Andy, when you've got more oversized baits than space, ya gotta stuff them in any free space ya can find :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Cnv0435-1.jpg

And Wayne, it'll be an easy job, there's already a knock-out on the dash for another switch.