C4 Or D5 Ambassadeur

Matt15

I want to buy a round baitcaster for Christmas. I want to buy either the C4 or the D5 Abbassadeur. I'll be using this reel mostly for musky fishing. I have heard good and bad things on both reels. The D5 has the smart mag but it doestnt have mechanical cast control and the C4 doestnt have the smartmag but it has the mechanical cast control knob. I dont have that much experience with baitcasters so any feedback on these two reels will be greaty apppreciated.

Matt

I have 2 C4's, a 5600 and a 6500. I've been very happy with them over the past 5 yrs. I've heard that they don't hold up in the long run but I only use them for musky fishing, and I only musky fish about 5 or 6 days a year. The high retreive ratio makes them great for burning bucktails just under the surface and that's pretty much the way I fish the 5600. The 6500 I use for trolling because of the increase in line capacity.

I have a C4 as a musky reel and absolutely love it. I also have a D5 which is on my 6'6" med baitcasting rod, this gets used for casting and trolling for bass and walleye. One thing I noticed about the D5 is that you get any amount of water in it and it'll get sticky to retrieve. I've stripped this reel apart and regreased it and still can't figure out the problem. As for the C4, you can do just about anything to this reel and it won't stop. I also have a C3 which has had the living snot beat out of it and just won't quit!