Ice Fishing Help

Tinman

After fishing soft water for years, a buddy of mine and i have decided to get out ice fishing. I have no clue about what to buy lure wise, bait wise or any techniques. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be heading out next saturday evening to try our luck at petrie island in orleans.

Thanks

Denis

Denis, while this is not everything you'll need, this will get you going:

1) Auger - I would get at least an 8", Fin Bore or Swede Bore.

2) White Bucket :whistling: - For your bait and to sit on.

3) Rod/Reel combo

4) Ice fishing line or light mono will do the trick.

5) Ladel to scoop the ice.

6) Cleats for your boots are not a bad idea.

7) Thermal socks

8) Toboggan to hall your stuff out.

9) Some Spreaders if you use minnows or pickeral rigs will work

10) Minnow net - trust me keeps your hands warm.

Down the road if you find you like it, a portable hut (Clams are good).

This is what came to mind, I'm sure others will add.

Good luck

Jim

I'd say keep it simple your first time out. You can get relatively cheap rod/reel combo's at CTC. I would definitely invest in quality line, berkley 8lb XL, and get rid of the line that comes on the reel. Buy some jigs in various colours 1/4 oz is enough to fish 30' deep in the winter. My all time fav. for ice fishing walleye are glow jigs. Tip the jig with a live minnow and you're in business. Start on bottom, litterally bouncing it off bottom to create a stir. When jigging I tell my guests that less is often more. That is to say I like a lot of 'pause' in my jigging method. But try everything from big 3 foot jig/fall pattern to just twitching the rod tip for a little effect of the jig. I try everything at all depths in the water column. Start on bottom, reel up 3 feet and do it again. I also advocate run and gun fishing on the ice... if it's not working in one hole, move on. Try different depths. There's nothing wrong with revisiting an old hole either.

Another presentation I did well on last year for walleye was a buckshot rattle spoon tipped with just the head of a shiner. The williams ice fishing spoons do well too.

Heck, you can catch fish with just a spool of line, a sinker a hook & minnow and tree branch.

Once you know where you're going head to a local tackle shop and ask questions. They'll know how to target fish in their area.

Have fun!

Cheers,

ben.

I was like you last year and here's what I started with that seemed to work well (basically what Trapshooter said):

2 rod/reel combos from can.tire with some 6lb mono (was going for walleye in NW ontario)

2 metal rod holders - hard to describe but they simply hold the rod on an angle over the hole, nothing fancy

handful of various jigs - your typical summer collection that you probably already have but I also grabbed a few glowing ones

minnows (bucket and minnow net) - doubled as a seat

And most importantly

Warm dry boots and socks

long underwear and undershirt

leggings (marks wearhouse special) and jacket

good toque/mitts

My buddy had an auger so I didn't have to get one but obviously you'd need that

I had a blast and then over the rest of last years hardwater season I picked up a couple other things (a sled to drag stuff a nicer rod/reel, a little folding seat and a 6" finbore auger) and it served me well for perch fishing on simcoe. This year I've added a foldover shelter and a little heater but you don't need those to start.

Let us know how it goes.

I normaly bring alot out fishing with me ..portable hut .. auger .. spud .. porta potty(nothin worse then getting out there and my son needing to use the washroom)... tv .. fishfinder .. stove, frypan, fishcrisp just incase I get something .. but one of the most important things is my GPS .. been out many times and when its time to go you cant see shore because of a snow storm .. so bring a GPS or a compass to be sure to find your way back home .. I also mainly use wooden jigging sticks .. dont have to worry about the reels freezing up