Winter steelhead question

troutologist

Well out I went today to fish the one open run at my fav river. Bonus!! alot of ice blew out and I could fish a few spots. I got 2 very small (1lb) chrome fish right off the ice edge. No pics but a good outing in Dec.

I digress though, both fish were hit on spawn after drifting the runs with pink worms, jigs and a few types of flies. The flies that have worked in the fall I tried with different shotting patterns. No luck. Nothing on spoons either.

My question is what does everyone have the best luck on, in conditions where the river is just opening up in the winter but the water is still on the clearer side?

I look forward to the comments

tight lines

In these conditions, it's hard to beat (Like MorS said) a single egg under a float or an attractor. The shotting pattern is important, try to match the feeding depth with the flow of the day. An esl pattern in these waters will rock as well.

Look for the eddies and the current seams. especially under overhanging cover. Under the trees, use a pattern that looks like the bugs that fall into the water under the tree.

I just make this stuff up.

Edited by douG

WELL ALOT OF IT HAS TO DEPEND ON CONS AND PRESSURE!!!

BUT IF I HAD TO CHOOSE ONE BAIT FOR THE WINTER MONTHS IT WOULD BE ROE.

BUT YA GOTTA BE PREPARED TO THROW IT ALL!!!

YESTERDAY I HIT A TRIB AND CAME UP TO A FELLA AND STARTED SOME SMALL TALK!!!

TOLD ME HE'D BEEN THERE FOR 4 HRS AND NOTHING!!

I ASKED HIM WHAT HE WAS USING AND HE SAID ROE!!

SO I CHANGE MY SET UP AND BAM I GET THIS ON A FIRST DRIFT.

DSCF0163.jpg

HE WAS A TAD ticked BUT IN STEELHEADING YA HAVE TO CHANGE IT UP!!

Thanks for the input guys. I have the most confidence in roe but alot of times force myself to fish other baits to try to become a more versitile angler but it gets frustrating some times when nothing comes from the efforts. As far as process of elimination goes I was and usually am the whole crowd, which isnt a bad thing by anymeans.

tight lines and warm fingers

I find if you can get the lowly dew worm in the colder months they will work, right before or after dawn. Especially if no one else has them which seems to happen a lot the colder it gets as they are tough to find.

Roe is dynamite too but I have seen a bank lined with people using it and only one person nailing fish non stop. That tells me the condition, type, colour used for tying, size and of course presentation can make or break the use of roe. Just like any other bait. On boxing day I was out with my father and we were using roe from a hen I got on Christmas day. A guy right next to us was using some frozen roe he had. He got 3 fish on before we had a bite. Then we had 7 fish on between dad and I. By far the most of any pair of anglers there. At first I was drifting and everyone was bottom fishing. I switched and bam it was on. Before we left I gave some of the roe I had to 4 other anglers who I know. By the time dad I packed up and walked to the car 3 of them had fish on, after being skunked all morning. I just hope the 40 plus bags of that roe I tied and froze work a 10th as good, when I get out next.....

Yep ... and dont forget very often the only difference is the line ... these fish can be VERY line shy ... I have often been slaying them while noone else is getting a tap ... because I have a ultralite 2lb or 4lb leader and real tiny hooks ....