What jacket do you wear when shore fishing / river fishing at this time

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hey guys,

what do you usually wear when going either shore fishing and river fishing at this time of the year

i am thinking about getting myself a new Columbia jacket .. but not sure if it

is a right choice ..

besides, has anyone got a Columbia Wader jacket?

how is it?

Guest Fishing For Life

Am I the only one who gets completely confused with Columbia stuff?

Went to SportsChek and there were millions of them and they were all on sale?

any recommendation?

Can I dip the columbia jacket in the water as if it is a wader and it will still work?

Thanks

For me it's not necessarily the brand or how much you spend but the layers you use under the jacket. Be sure to use thermal clothing right next to your skin...it will wick away sweat. If you feel wet (sweat) then you're done for. Just layer up and wear an outer shell that really protects from the wind...a hood is best so the wind cant get down the back of your neck.

The next most important thing is boots....same thing...wear socks that will wick away sweat....cause if your feet are cold then you're done for.

Good luck!

Am I the only one who gets completely confused with Columbia stuff?

Went to SportsChek and there were millions of them and they were all on sale?

any recommendation?

Can I dip the columbia jacket in the water as if it is a wader and it will still work?

Thanks

Most of the columbia jacket you see at sport chek is for snow boarding but they are warm. Get one that is 2 layer, one is the outer shell for wind/water and a inner fleece layer that is removable. I have columbia jackets and north face jackets both of which are really good. You can interchange the inner layer, one of the warmest combination so far has been a columbia wind/water shell with a north face 650 down jacket as the inner layer.

I'm personally not a columbia fan.

A Gore-tex (or another waterproof breatheable alternative) outter shell jacket with layers underneath is a solid choice. You can layer-up or down depending how cold it is and the Gore-Tex is guaranteed dry. One of the biggest things I look for in an all weather jacket is the quality of the hood and how waterproof the zippers are.

Also, as sharper said a downfill jacket under a waterproof layer is a very warm and dry combination.

I 2nd the gortex shell system. I have found it to be the best even for ice fishing etc. Just have to wear a fleece and 1 or 2 other layers underneath. As ccmt stated if you sweat youre done, dont wear all your layers if you have a walk to your spot type deal. Also I think you'll find if you wear waders it keeps you quite warm (minus youre feet)

Layers of fleece or wool and a waterproof breathable outer layer. Just watch out for some of the cheaper jackets that claim to be 100% water proof, They are but only for about the first 10 or so times wearing them and then they start to leak.