"power" auger question

kickingfrog

"Other than drilling 1 1/8" holes for salom poles... no !"

Not sure if that was meant to make me laugh or not but it did. To clarify, if no joke was intended, I have seen a few fishin' shows use a cordless drill attached to a ice auger (6 inch, but as my wife insists, I'm not a good judge of size). I'm not willing to haul a gas auger out but thought this might be an option. I would have thought that keeping the battery warm would be an issue, not to mention the power needed for multiple holes on think ice.

Don't bother wasting your time.

The only uses I can think of for a cordless drill, would be to drill small holes to use for the spike anchors on those portable huts. Or they have a new attachment for cleaning out the slush from a hole :rolleyes:

Tony

I have a 18volt cordless drill and an adaptor for my 6" auger and last season I got approx. 6-8 holes per battery (ice thickness 8"-10"). I bring two batteries and it is a lot lighter and quiter than a gas powered auger, but once the ice gets over 12" i'd prefer a gas auger. The colder the weather the shorter the batteries will last, but definately worth the $20 and now my elbow and arm only hurt from landing the monsters, not drilling :)

"Other than drilling 1 1/8" holes for salom poles... no !"

Not sure if that was meant to make me laugh or not but it did. To clarify, if no joke was intended, I have seen a few fishin' shows use a cordless drill attached to a ice auger (6 inch, but as my wife insists, I'm not a good judge of size). I'm not willing to haul a gas auger out but thought this might be an option. I would have thought that keeping the battery warm would be an issue, not to mention the power needed for multiple holes on think ice.

Spelling's not my forte -- supposed to be slalom - as in ski race course.

Edited by irishfield