Wild Salmon on the verge...

PatrickGG

It's very difficult to comprehend that man(woman)kind continues to refuse to learn from our past disasters.

Everytime we try to "improve" on mother nature we end up doing more harm.

Note* I am not refering to re-introductions from overharvesting or habitat loss like trout stocking in the great lakes or wild turkeys to Southern Ontario as they were in that place from the start.

What I'm refering to is the Salmon farm problem or the CWD now found in wild deer and elk stemming back to elk farms started in Colorado where a few geniuses thought they would make available trophy elk hunts to cubicle dwelling hunters who just did not have the time to do it the traditional way. "Yep here's my cash now I would like a 180 off the Boone & Crockett Shelf".

That problem started from the same group of animals all swapping spit at the same feed pile---yeah you bet we know so much more than nature.

I once guided hunters for whitetails in Northwestern Ontario and listened to some interesting stories about how dollars can buy you a trophy. I'm sure the story tells better over a scotch on the rocks looking at the mount hanging in the den.

Bushart

Well you know its a wonder that the salmon have even made it this log in time with all the crap they have had to put up with...it pisses me off as well...and some wild strains in some rivers have all but gone,and in some cases have only a few hundred left...and now those farms are spreading all sorts of dieseses,and farm salmon are mixing in with wild salmon and the wild ones are dying...ita a shame for sure...and nobody cares at all :wallbash:<_<:devil::dunno::angry:

The sea lice is just one more problem. The oceans also have to deal with problems like the Japanese having about 1700 drift-netting vessels that operate in the north pacific cathing everything from turtles to whales. The ships put out about 2 million miles of net a year in total and they lose somewhere around 10% of it which drift doing all sorts of damage. The method is actually banned officially, but there is no one willing to police the "high seas". Then you have the dredging in the Atlantic seriously damaging critters on the mid-ocean humps which will negativly impact the nutrient cycling in the food webs. The great lakes are suffering from about 140 exotic species doing all sorts of damage....with more or the way.

The worlds fisheries are suffering far more then most people know just so a few people can line their pockets. There are ways to do all the activities we want and need to do sustainably but like usual no one in power is willing to listen to the science. Until your average person starts letting the policy makers know that these issues are important to us, the stats quo wont change....

Pardon my rant, but i have a real problem with most of today's policy makers and society in general... blah blah blah. Im sure im boring some of you lol

-Ramble

You bet--that indifference also drives my blood pressure up.

I recall talking to a Brit in the 80's who served in the merchant marine---He indicated to me that what gets released into the middle of the ocean while nobody is watching would make your blood boil.

it's very unsettling if one thinks of the damage we have done to our environment in just one century in pursuit of $$$.

Bushart