Domincan republic (la romana) fishing help

snagmaster

Hey all, Im leaving on saturday morning to la romana -Domincian republic for a week with my G.F. Im interested in getting a fishing charter for some flat fishing (not deep sea ...my gf will yak...lol). Has anyone been to this area in the domincan and know a good charter??? Am willing to spend up to $300 for the day fishing ....want to get into some permit, jacks and cudas...Will be staying at casa del mar...was wondering if theres any shore fishing near the resort. Am going tobring jigs, grubs, jerkbaits ,cranks, spinners....any advice on other tackle i should consider bringind to mess around with....thanks guys...hopefully the ice will be ready when i get back....happy holidays

Hey Snag,

was thinking the same thing when I went down to Punta Cana 2 years ago. I did some research and found out that the DR isn't the place to go fishing. Apparantly the guiding services aren't the greatest and neither is the fishing. The place to fish is Cuba. The DR is not the safest place, but when I walked the beach there were a lot of locals fishing in the water...

Hope this helps

Hey Snag,

was thinking the same thing when I went down to Punta Cana 2 years ago. I did some research and found out that the DR isn't the place to go fishing. Apparantly the guiding services aren't the greatest and neither is the fishing. The place to fish is Cuba. The DR is not the safest place, but when I walked the beach there were a lot of locals fishing in the water...

Hope this helps

hate to hijack the thread.. headed to cuba on the 27th.. any tips? should i bring anything down with me? how much are we looking at for a charter?

Hey there,

I was just in the DR a few weeks back, and though I didnt go fishing, while walking along the beach, I saw numerous fish just cruising up and down the shoreline. As well as while out in a peddle-boat. I would expect that you would catch something with jigs and such.

Might sound a little funny, but instead of spending a bunch of money to go out, just use the peddle-boats that the resort has.

Good luck!

*Stoty

The Dominican is garbage. Pure garbage. The cruise ships won't even stop there because their governement won't put any money into cleaning the s***-hole up. The public beach in Peurto Plata is littered with the same trash accummulated from Mardi-gras' in the 1980's.

I fished there. They were pathetic. Absolutely 100% meat fisherman.

Why is Dominican one of the cheapest places to go...??? (with the exception of Cuba that won't take American's, and Mexico which is is forced to compete because of sooo many resorts) ... it is because it is garbage.

Didn't go to Romana, which looks a little more off the beaten path, but, did go off the beaten path outside of Peurto Plata. Garbage. If you wanna lay on a beach go to Punta Cana... although, having had that recent scare there because of a bunch of tourists picking up some unknown bug that claimed lives... have at it.

Ohhhh, did I mention I didn't like the Dominican and that the fishing sucked.?????

Hope you fare better.

wow..Moosebunk you really hated it there ehh?? ...Ive been to paurto plata, la romana and punta cana more then once and the resorts and the beaches were gorgeous...if you leave the resorts then your completely right its GARBAGE....but its a poor country just like jamaica(love jamaica tho)....its to bad to hear the fishing sucks tho...ill give here a go