Lowrance Mapcreate

Corey

So... I picked up one of these fandangled GPS doohickey's a while back, a Lowrance H2Oc to be exact. Today I picked up the MapCreate package with the Canadian Topo's.

Who has experience with MapCreate? In addition, are people interested in sharing maps. There are methods to get maps on unregistered MMC cards. I would be interested in trading some maps with people, provided they are personally made maps, as opposed to copyrighted/licensed maps.

I have access to very detailed aerial photos of a lot of Southern Ontario and plan on making some maps for myself. I figure I can take some aerial photo blocks, stitch em together and then overlay a line art nautical map on top. For instance, I have a very detailed map of Binbrook C.A. I plan to push that onto the GPS with a nautical map overlayed so that when I go icefishing there, I can use the GPS to find dropoffs and such.

My goal with all of this is to keep a detailed record of where I catch fish, including date, weather, lure, etc. So that in the future I can hopefully do some trend analysis on the data I collect to allow me to figure out where my best chance of catching fish will be.

I know it's a pretty ambitious idea, but I figure with what I know and do, along with the resources I have access to, I should be able to swing it.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share. I think we could work out a pretty slick way to use our GPS units for future success.

Corey

Corey I too have the H20c and the CDN topo maps set ... not sure if will work ... but if you figure it out I am ALL over that (of course without breaching any copyright issues) .... so far the fishing maps I use - that have all the hotpspots and water depths havent found their way onto my GPS ... just the Mapcreate stuff .. which while it is excellent .. is almost useless to me on the water

Jon