Licence Question

kemper

Hey,

Ill be turning 18 this march and know that this season I will have tp buy a fishing licence. My question is, since my birthday happens to be during my favourite time for steelhead fishin, can I buy it in advance? Do you have to be 18 or can I get one right now? or in the new year?

Id just like to get my hands on one in advance of when Ill actually need it, that way the time spent getting one in march, can be better put to use on the river...

From what I understand, the licence goes from Jan.1 to Dec. 31. I would say, do not buy one till after the new year. No sense in wasting money on something you don't need till then. You should be able to get one before your birthday. I cannot see the government going, no you cannot give us money.

You have a couple of options depending on where you buy your license.

Firstly, Crank Bait is right, don't buy it till after January 1st. If you buy just before your birthday and you only have a one year sticker, the sticker expires on Dec. 31st of that year.

When you buy it, $ 6.00 of the cost is for your Outdoors Card that will be good for 3 years.

If you buy your license "on-line" or from an Ontario Government Service Centre, you can get a sticker on the card that's good for 3 years also. That would be until Dec. 31st, 2010.

If you buy it from a tackle shop or a place like Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart ( yes, our store in Owen Sound sells them, some do, some don't), you can only get a one year sticker and must go to a retailer and get an annual sticker put on in each of the following years. ( 2009 & 2010 ).

Either way you have to pay for the Outdoors Card. If you buy from a retailer, we give you a temporary license so that you can fish as soon as you walk out the door and the actual card comes later in the mail.

Once you're 18 don't get caught fishing without your license on you or very close nearby in your tackle box. The CO's will not accept "It's at home" and will charge you for sure.

Once you're 18 don't get caught fishing without your license on you or very close nearby in your tackle box. The CO's will not accept "It's at home" and will charge you for sure.

Ironically the fine for leaving your license at home is higher than the fine for not having a license at all. Isn't the government wonderful?