Kicker motor shaft length

icefisherman

I don't have that boat but the easiest way is to measure at the back from the top of the transon to the edge of the hull at the center. Most Short shaft transoms will be 14-15" high=short shaft, Long transoms are 19-20" high. If you can't hang the kicker on the edge of the transom and have to resort to an adjustable plate to hang the kicker on.

I don't have that boat but the easiest way is to measure at the back from the top of the transon to the edge of the hull at the center. Most Short shaft transoms will be 14-15" high=short shaft, Long transoms are 19-20" high. If you can't hang the kicker on the edge of the transom and have to resort to an adjustable plate to hang the kicker on.

Fisherman,

You probably meant to measure from the top of the transom (where the kicker is going to be mounted) to the edge of the hull (again under where the kicker is going to be mounted), which is not in the centre?

It would have been much easier if the hull was not going down on an angle therefore making big difference exactly where to mount the kicker. Going too much to the outside will not be good I imagine. Going too much to the inside may not allow the kicker propeller enough clearance under the hull and will not be good either. And not having the boat in front of you that makes it difficult. I may need to purchase the kicked before seeing the boat, hence the question.

I think long shaft will probably work, but want to make sure when I lift the kicker, propeller is completely out of the water and not in motion while blasting full speed to the fishing spot.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Emil...just looked in the 2007 catalogue and the 1700 Pro Sport has a 20" transom that stays flat full width. So based on the 5" difference on my Lund between main motor and kicker spot....this would lead me to believe that a short shaft 15" would work on the prosport.

Edited by irishfield

Emil...just looked in the 2007 catalogue and the 1700 Pro Sport has a 20" transom that stays flat full width. So based on the 5" difference on my Lund between main motor and kicker spot....this would lead me to believe that a short shaft 15" would work on the prosport.

Wayne,

Now I can see why you were having so many questions when you were buying your Lund last year…I am similar to you….like to have it all figured out ahead of time to avoid unpleasant surprises.

The transom on the Pro Sport has three different levels...

- level 1 -lowest level where the main motor gets mounted

- level 2 - a bit higher level (hard to say how much higher only by looking at the picture but it is higher) where the kicker will be mounted. Maybe it is 5" higher (?!)

- level 3 - top level - even with the gunnels

I can send you picture if you want.

You are right the transom is 20" on the specks. So, I assume the main motor is 20" shaft. Considering level 2 is about 5" higher and the hull also goes higher the further outside you go, I was assuming the length of the kicker should be about the same as the length of the main motor (if the raise of the transom is equal to the rise of the hull in the area where the kicker is mounted....Kicker is mounted on higher part of the transom, but at the same time the hull is higher in that area too…if the elevation of the hull and transom are the same, the length of the two motors should stay the same?

I know it is hard to know for sure...this is why I was hoping someone who owns Pro Sport and has kicker can tell me the real measurement.

Cheers

Ice Fisherman

Wayne, his 2000 has the cutout for the main motor. I don't know what year that changed but I think that may be the difference getting away with a short shaft on a newer model and needing a long shaft on the older one. Those cutouts tend to be about 3-4" usually.

-Brian

Yes both steer from the helm and throttle control is there as well for the kicker. Works well..some days I wish I could quickly disconnect and hand steer..but less times than I'd rather sit and steer!

Hmmm,

how can I make sure the kicker I get has both (remote teering and remote throttle)?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Order it that way ! LOL You'd love the 9.9 Pro Kicker..electric tilt/start etc...but I think it's about $4600 + tax. Maybe be less now with the US dollar way down.

No response? I think Emil passed out!

Just to clarify Emil, any kicker can be steered from the helm. It does not have it's own steering cable or wheel, it is connected to your main motor in one way or another.

Some use clamps and a crossbar at the lower rear while others will connect in front near the main motor steering connection and a crossbar to the kicker.

Remote throttle/start requires an additional set of cables and controls to the helm.

Since Wayne's Pro-Kicker is worth more than my boat ( :blush: I would settle for an electric start tiller, quick release steering and a trollmaster remote.

http://www.troll-masterpro.com/

-Brian

Yeah well Brian, for that price I may have passed out from falling off my chair if for nothing else ;-)

Appreciate everyone's comments as they gave me good idea as to what could work for me.

I do hope to find decent 8-9.9HP kicker for about $1,000 but time will tell.

And allow few hundred dollars more to make it remote.

Danbo,

my idea of kicker is not only for trolling but also to use it as spare motor in emergecny situations.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman