[HELP!] Need SERIOUS WINTER WADER PURCHASE help

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi guys,

My buddies and I went to fish salmon last weekend

and it was a huge success

it was so exciting that I didnt feel how freezing the water

was until we were done.

Oh my god, i couldnt feel anything below my waist!

my underbody was FROZEN

Anyhow, I have decided to get myself a NICE WARM Insulated Wader

perhaps, around $100 ~ $250

What specfifications I should look for and where can i get it from?

I have checked out Bass Pro Shop & Lebaron and

have seen things like 3-layers, 3.5mm Nenopree Material ... etc

but do not know the difference

As far as I can think, I want something with at least the following:

- front pockets for hand warmer

- knee pads & hip pad (so that I do not have to worry about getting it cut)

Thanks in davance!

Most guys will likely tell you to buy a pair of stockingfoot breathables and layer up underneath with fleece for warmth. (that's what I wear myself)

Best bang for your buck as far as years of durability and sheer warmth are a pair of bootfoot neoprenes, either 3 or 31/2 mm.

Can't go wrong with ordering them from Cabelas either especially with the dollar being so strong.

Shipped right to your door in less than a week...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

or

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&id=0044494

For sheer warmth bootfoot breathables are also a great choice (bootfoot for warmth, layer up with fleece underneath), but they won't last as long as neoprenes. They are however a superior option if you're going to be doing any amount of walking (sweating).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

i used 3.5mm last year, kept me warm and toasty.... except for the feet, but 2 pairs of wool socks took care of that!!... the 5mm are warm, but they're hard to move in i'm told (i spend time climbing hills in my waders and NO WAY could i do 5mm, hard enough to move in the 3.5mm!!

Also got mine from Cabelas as i needed a "bigger" size with short legs lol

Your right Solo, ill recommend breathables as well. I bought a pair of neoprenes once, and wont make that mistake again. Thats just my opinion, but i was sick of walking around like frankenstein everywhere i went, and getting them on and off was a pain in the neck. Just all around couldnt stand the feeling. The wader is just to keep you dry. And all you need is a thin breathable layer to do that job, as most have said.......use layers to warm up. Stay away from cotten under your breathables or youve defeated the purpose. Under armour cold gear is a good solution , expensive but its expensive for a reason. You want all of your under layers to breathe to wick the sweat away from you body. (cold air and sweat on your skin is what keeps your teeth chattering in the winter months) I layer up with under armour and for the feet i use wool socks or a fleece lined neoprene sock under the neoprene boot of the waders themselves. i dunno , to each his/her own , but i couldnt stand the neoprenes, breathables are the way to go. LIght as air, easy to get in and out of.......and if you take a dunk (and have your wading belt nice and snug) Theyll balloon nicely and keep you afloat (kind of jokin on that one, but it might have some validity lol)

Your right Solo, ill recommend breathables as well. I bought a pair of neoprenes once, and wont make that mistake again. Thats just my opinion, but i was sick of walking around like frankenstein everywhere i went, and getting them on and off was a pain in the neck. Just all around couldnt stand the feeling. The wader is just to keep you dry. And all you need is a thin breathable layer to do that job, as most have said.......use layers to warm up. Stay away from cotten under your breathables or youve defeated the purpose. Under armour cold gear is a good solution , expensive but its expensive for a reason. You want all of your under layers to breathe to wick the sweat away from you body. (cold air and sweat on your skin is what keeps your teeth chattering in the winter months) I layer up with under armour and for the feet i use wool socks or a fleece lined neoprene sock under the neoprene boot of the waders themselves. i dunno , to each his/her own , but i couldnt stand the neoprenes, breathables are the way to go. LIght as air, easy to get in and out of.......and if you take a dunk (and have your wading belt nice and snug) Theyll balloon nicely and keep you afloat (kind of jokin on that one, but it might have some validity lol)

I'll wager dollars to doughnuts you were wearing stocking foot neoprenes...infinitely harder to get on and off than bootfoot neoprenes.

Hey, as mentioned I'm a fan of breathables myself, BUT if you're strictly talking winter fishing, if money is tight and the longevity of the waders are important, then nothing

will keep you warmer or last longer than bootfoot breathables...

That's bootfoot, not stockingfoot (just to emphasize the point :) )

Edited by solopaddler

I went 3mm but found my toes froze...nothing else was cold so I looked online at mountain equipment outfitters and they have neoprene socks for $10-15 delivered....so instead of paying another $100 or so for 5mm I just bought the socks and pocketed the rest...well actually spent it on fishing gear...LOL. and if you buy seperate boots make sure they are alot larger...i am a size 9.5 and had to buy a 12 to fit all the neoprene. and all I do is wear my work long johns underneith and polar fleece on top all winter long!

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies

however, I still need recommendations on BRAND & MODEL

along with PLACES I can get them from

Thanks!

I was in your position last year in the spring..... I HAD to have a pair of waders that I could use in sub zero temps, but survive in when hiking to and from some favourite fishing spots in the warmer spring temps. I am a big guy 250lbs with a 29" inseam, but a size 13 EEEE foot which meant I had to do a lot of looking to find ones that would fit my feet and allow room for a warm pair of socks (thank you ducks unlimited for selling a great pair of those at a reasonable price). I found finally found a great pair of boot foot neoprenes that kept me nice and toasty when the winds were blasting and temps below zero, and that didn't totally roast me when the temps were in the low teens. I got mine during the spring fishing sale at Bass Pro they are Red Head Big Man waders I think they are 4.5 mil. They had plenty of room around my gut even for me and have a double wading belt type deal built in. They also have the reenforced knee pads. The price was great about 145 or so. The boots have 600 gram of Thinsulite so they keep my feet very warm a big consideration for me. The only down sides I found was that for the first two times I wore them the legs were too long and kind of folded right at the boot top causing a mild chaffing there (if you have short legs make sure you put them on in the store. Now after about 5 trips they are worked in and it doesn't bother me at all. Also the pocket is a little small but the handwarmer area is fine. I had been told by one local tackle shop that because of my build I would likely have to go with a custom made pair to get a big enough boot with a short enough leg so but I am very happy with the price and comfort of the Red Heads..... Now if and when I win the lottery I might go custom fit but the 600.00 plus price tag has held me back so far LOL

Another tip is I found out that using pair of lined rain pants underneath makes the waders just slide off compared with fleece or jeans....

I freeze at the best of times so when I was looking for something to not only keep me warm but cool I picked these. With neoprene the fit just wasn't right and the breathables with the boots built in didn't fit my feet... so I went with stocking foot and bought boots one size bigger than my foot so that I could layer on socks...

So far so good, they keep me dry, and warm , although not a fashion statement I am very very happy with my purchase.

CanadaDayWeekendProperty07091.jpg

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi guys,

couple more questions I would like to ask after reading all replies

1. What is the difference between stockingfoot+wader shoes vs bootfoot?

2. What is the difference between breathable vs neoprene?

3. If I read it correctly, breathable does NOT keep you warm, therefore I have to layer it up?

whereas Neoprene keeps me warm but hard to get in/out/walk-around?

Thanks!

Guest Fishing For Life

Someone please answer my question so that

I can make decision between it is too late for this weekend ..

really dont want to freeze my butt out

Thanks

Stocking foot and boot basically is you have to put on your waders first and then put on your boots... This is what I use and personally have had no problem except for the fact that they are kind of tough to get on or off... You also have the option of choosing whichever boot fits your feet and your needs. Boot foot boots are one piece you cannot remove the boots from the waders. these are much easier to get on and off but sometimes it can be tough to find the right fit boot and wader combination as well as boot style that fits your needs. As for breathables vs, Neoprene... as was said durablility and warmth is definately in hte neoprenes, but they are heavy and a little harder to move around in, although it hasnt really been too bad for me... the only real dislike i have with neoprenes is if you plan on using them in the summer you WILL be hot... I have worn mine in the summer and on occasion do but it can be uncomfortable on days... as for breathables, they are easier to manouver in but are much less durable and have no insulation value... a good comparison I think is a thin raincoat compared to a waterproof rain Jacket with a liner... they both keep you warm but the lined jacket doesnt require layers while the thin rainjacket does... Hopefully this helps you out some...

Guest Fishing For Life

thanks for the explaination

Since I already have a normal wader for spring/summer, I will go for Neoprene

Regarding stocking foot & bootfoot ....

bootfoot seems to be less comfortable ..

another question about buying boots,

what should I look for?

I mean, as far as I can think,

boots get wet for sure, and therefore, whether it is waterproof

or insulated does not make a difference, right?