Refurbish Electronics ?

Tybo

Haven't bought any fish finders or GPS units Paul, but have had a bad experience with a refurb digital camera. I wonder why they were refurb'ed in the first place? Having said that, any refurb stuff I have looked at appears to carry the original manufacturers warranty. The only prob is that generally the store will not warranty the unit and you are on your own to return it if any problems arise.

Hope it helps.

John..

Refurbished is supposed to mean that the unit has ben repaired by the manufacturer and passed the specification tests for that unit. You usually get a warrenty from the manufacturer.

Repaired means that the unit has ben repaired. That could be anyone , including the manufacturer BUT it pass not been factory tested by the manufacturer. Usually get a shorter warrentry from the vender.

Open Box is the same as refurfubished, but may not have needed any repairs. Usually a full manufacturer and sometimes a vender warrenty.

All my monitors are refurbished. I have yet to replace one of my 4 monitors in the last 7 years. Lower prices is what drives the refurbished/repaired/open box market.

It's still "buyer beware". Ask a lot of questions. If you're ready to buy and are still a little nervous, ask for a return/refund policy in writing regaudless of the store policy. Often you'll get it. Some stores have a no refund, no exchange, all sales final, etc. That's fine if you know what you're doing. If you're not sure about the items durability, ask the owner to write on the sales slip a special return statement like "Full refund in 3 days" and sign it, just in case you get a lemon. If the owner won't do it, then consider going elsewhere to buy. I do this when the item is one of a kind. If the item is one of many then I ask for "full exchange in 3/5/10 days"(whatever). Exchange/refund policies are there to protect the store not the customer. You can renegotiate that.

I've only had to return one refurbished item so far and the managers note was accepted without question for an exchange even though the store policy was "All Sales Final".

Muddler