Quick winterizing question

krawler

I have a new 75 hp 4 stroke yami, been reading how to winterize and understand what to do. but, id like to try some late season fishing, perhaps late november and december. im concerned about leaving it in subzero temps without being winterized. my indoor storage is not heated. how long can i leave my boat in the cold before it has to be winterized? please explain how this works. I hear people using there boats on the niagara in mid winter.

The problems are [1] brake down or water in the gas. [2] Water in the motor freezing.

For [1] you could add some gas line antifreeze.

For [2] Change your lower unit oil to be sure it is free of water.

When you pull the boat out of the water.

Tilt your motor up and down to drain the water.

Turn the motor over without starting to clear the water from the impeller.

As long as there is no water in your lower unit.....your good to go.

Once it starts getting cold, I change my gear lube more frequently, just so I KNOW there is no water in there to freeze, and crack the housing.

Just let the engine drain in the down position before you leave the launch on below zero days, and you'll be fine.

Water is the devil when it comes to operating your outboard in below zero weather. Water expands, and cracks whatever is containing it.......make sure it all drains out, and that your lower unit isn't leaking any water into it.

Gasline antifreeze is always a good idea in an outboard in cold weather as well. I've had my carb freeze up, and it sucks when its cold and windy!!

Sinker