Fly in fishing trip - outpost camp.

fishnsled

Hello all!

We are starting to plan our trip for next year and are looking for some recommendations. Walleye, pike, lake trout, any or all of the above. Somewhere in Ontario within a 7-8 hour drive of Toronto to the air base and fly in from there. We were with Air Cochrane last year and had a great time. I think we would go with them again but just a different lake. We did Floodwood Lake last time. The fishing was OK but it lacked some exploring opportunities that some of the guys like to do. (ie - connected to some other lakes, different species, mini adventure type stuff.) All input is greatly appreciated. Looking for places to consider as well as avoid. Feel free to pm if you'd rather. I should add that there looks to be 6 in our group for next year.

THANKS!!!

Edited by fishnsled

One location in particular springs to mind because of your party size. Little Missinaibi Lake flying with Hawk Air out of Hawk Junction.

I flew in there years ago before they made it a minimum of 6 to book this lake and havn't been back since because of it.

Awesome camp on an island just 10' from the water. Huge, huge lake with great fishing. There's a substantial outflowing river that you can walk and fish just teeming with walleye, plus there's an adjacent back lake with lake trout in it.

I fished for lake trout one day and caught a ton..

Also, for what it's worth we caught a bunch of whitefish over 5lb's right off the dock.

I've flown out of Cochrane several times myself. What I personally like about the Wawa/Hawk Junction area in comparison is the terrain and the type of lake.

North of Cochrane you're pretty much in that flat, featureless James Bay lowland terrain, with most lakes being shallow, weedy, featureless dishpans.

On the north shore of Superior you're still in shield country and the terrain is generally hillier and the lakes are usually deeper, clearer and rockier with much more interesting structure.

Here's Hawk Air's description of the camp: http://www.hawkair.com/littlemisslake.html

Any other questions or alternative reccomendations fire away, I've been on a bunch of these trips.

cheers, Mike

Check out Mirage Outfitters. They are in Quebec. You drive to Rouyn Noranda ( about 4 hours north of North Bay), stay over, and fly up to Mirage main lodge next morning. They are primarily a carabou camp ( huge and modern--over 100 hunters in camp duing season), but started doing some fishing excursions several years ago. The main lodge provides fantastic pike ishing on LG 4, as well as brookies in some of the rivers around there. They also have seeral outpost camps with fishing for lakers, brookies, pike , whitefish and walleye ( not every camp has all).

We went to main lodge in 2006. Our accomodations were darned near deluxe, and the food was cafeteria style, but quite good. WE primarily fished LG 4 for pike. We took guides, and as the wateris huge, we didn't regret it. I fished only a fly rod and caught great numbers of pike. In 2007 wewent to their Roz Lake outpost, which is on a river for which Roz Lake is the headwaters. They provide a camp caretaker who also guided each of us one day just to show us somespots, otherwise we were on our own. WE were a little early for excellent pike and brookies, but still had a blast catching lakers up to 12 pounds, brookies to 5, and a few pike in the 15 lb range.....all on a fly rod and much of it in or around rapids. We didn't fish Roz Lake for lakers, but I understand there are some awesome large fsh in it. Outpost camp itself was clean, well maintaned, had hot runnning water, gas stove and a woodstove.

I don't remember ttal cost of each trip but it seems each was around $2500 allin.

Also, I know some folks who run another Quebec outpost outfitter called North American Bushman. I've seen their pics and know people who've been there, and they rave about the fishing.

I know you said Ontario, but the flyout base for both of these meets you drivetie criteria.

Be happy to talk to youvia phone if you want more info.

Check out Mirage Outfitters. They are in Quebec. You drive to Rouyn Noranda ( about 4 hours north of North Bay), stay over, and fly up to Mirage main lodge next morning. They are primarily a carabou camp ( huge and modern--over 100 hunters in camp duing season), but started doing some fishing excursions several years ago. The main lodge provides fantastic pike ishing on LG 4, as well as brookies in some of the rivers around there. They also have seeral outpost camps with fishing for lakers, brookies, pike , whitefish and walleye ( not every camp has all).

We went to main lodge in 2006. Our accomodations were darned near deluxe, and the food was cafeteria style, but quite good. WE primarily fished LG 4 for pike. We took guides, and as the wateris huge, we didn't regret it. I fished only a fly rod and caught great numbers of pike. In 2007 wewent to their Roz Lake outpost, which is on a river for which Roz Lake is the headwaters. They provide a camp caretaker who also guided each of us one day just to show us somespots, otherwise we were on our own. WE were a little early for excellent pike and brookies, but still had a blast catching lakers up to 12 pounds, brookies to 5, and a few pike in the 15 lb range.....all on a fly rod and much of it in or around rapids. We didn't fish Roz Lake for lakers, but I understand there are some awesome large fsh in it. Outpost camp itself was clean, well maintaned, had hot runnning water, gas stove and a woodstove.

I don't remember ttal cost of each trip but it seems each was around $2500 allin.

Also, I know some folks who run another Quebec outpost outfitter called North American Bushman. I've seen their pics and know people who've been there, and they rave about the fishing.

I know you said Ontario, but the flyout base for both of these meets you drivetie criteria.

Be happy to talk to youvia phone if you want more info.

Interesting that you mention Mirage as I've been looking at them myself. My cottage is 15 mins. from Rouyn Noranda so flying from there would be pretty convenient...

I've got a couple of friends who're employees of Quebec hydro and they rave about the pike fishing on LG-4, which is what interested me in the first place.

I think you're pretty much bang on with the price and if that's not too steep for fishnsled's group (it's quite a bit more than your run of the mill fly-in) then I'd definitely consider it.

You're talking about true world class fishing up there.

amazing fishing up there in james bay if your in for the whole camping/driving expirience you can drive there and fish the many lakes/and rivers that are by the roads such as the eastmain and rupert river for brookies and eyes,

amazing fishing up there in james bay if your in for the whole camping/driving expirience you can drive there and fish the many lakes/and rivers that are by the roads such as the eastmain and rupert river for brookies and eyes,

Yes that's how my friends do it, but it's a loooong haul though.

Driving the James Bay/Trans Taiga road from Matagami north to Radisson and beyond

is well over 22 hours of driving on a gravel road.

Here's a picture my buddy took a couple years back on the road

TransTaigaRoad.jpg

You'd definitely need spare tires, extra gas and survival equipment to drive that road.

If you have an adventurous spirit and the time, it IS a great way to experience world

class fishing on a shoestring budget though. :)

:Gonefishing: Try Arctic Watershed Outposts (awonakina.com) out of Nakina. Have used them 11 times with #12 this summer. Good cabins, boats, motors, and best of all the price is right with GREAT fishing. Our group caught and released over 1600 walleye and pike this year. Most walleye in the 15 to 24" range and the largest pike were 41" and a 46". Many pike in the 30 to 40" slot. The operators are great people and bend over backward to serve their clients. I have personal marked maps of many of their lakes. Fron Kap you can go to Tennet, Tester and Melchett. If I can give any more info, e-mail me at [email protected]. Good fishing

:Gonefishing: Try Arctic Watershed Outposts (awonakina.com) out of Nakina. Have used them 11 times with #12 this summer. Good cabins, boats, motors, and best of all the price is right with GREAT fishing. Our group caught and released over 1600 walleye and pike this year. Most walleye in the 15 to 24" range and the largest pike were 41" and a 46". Many pike in the 30 to 40" slot. The operators are great people and bend over backward to serve their clients. I have personal marked maps of many of their lakes. Fron Kap you can go to Tennet, Tester and Melchett. If I can give any more info, e-mail me at [email protected]. Good fishing

Started typing this then stopped myself. Started again...I'm impelled.

Just curious Dave are you affiliated with AWO or getting a break by sending business their way?

You've been posting this exact same message every single time this question comes up on

multiple message boards for YEARS now. Don't you think people notice?

It's becoming more than a bit redundant and is basically spam.

For what it's worth, if you're willing to drive that far, I've flown out of Nakina several times myself and any of the outfitters up there will put you onto good fishing. I've flown with Leuenberger's, Timberidge and Twin Lakes, all have been good trips.

I'm sure AWO is good as well....

I am not compinsated by AWO, other than whst I have reported. Good people, fishing, equipment and $$$. I feel by responding to a question, as where to go, I am hepling a fellow fisherman make a good decsion on where to go.

• 1 month later...