painting lures

mattyk

I have some lures that have gotten pretty beat up over the years. Some of the colours i don't like so i want to change. I want to paint them but im not sure of what type of paint to use. Can anybody recommend a specific type or brand or paint. Would i use a paint brush or spray paint? Thanks for your help.

I tweaked my lures by adding reflectorized sticker that looked like fish scale and it can be bought at the fishing store. Application, the sticker needs to be sealed with urethane paint to water proof it

I caught a lot more fish with them, the fishlike scale sticker glithers, so lifelike and seemed to show more under water especially during a sunny day. The sticker can be applied to rattler, spoon and other minnow plugs. Bass salmon, trout, pike and musky loves my tweaked product.

Since I tweaked my lures, I would take off some of the paint to ensure that the sticker stick well.

I also caught more fish on my lure when the paints are gone or look natural colors.

Guest skeeter99

u can paint with any kind of paint as long as u stick to the same base water or acetone base ie. car paint

I make alot of my own lures from scratch

but for prepainted lures just a light sanding, and apply by brush or airbrush (THE BEST) or car paint in the can

best water water based paint is createx (sold at most craft/hobby shops) or any spray bomb but these are expensive, or even model paint works really well

but here is the were it will make or break your job

U MUST SEAL THE PAINT, urethane will not cut it or varethane/polyurethane

most lures u buy today are coated with epoxy super strong and chipp resistant and actually amplify your colour you painted

2 part epoxy is the best (devcon) is the best but hard to find in canada

the 2 part 5 min epoxy works really well, mix the parts together and put 2 or 3 drops of paint thinner in to make a little more workable and apply with brush and let cure

I use the 24 hr epoxy from jens netcraft cause if you put left over epoxy in fridge it will keep for a week as long as it is cold (same theory as latex paint brush) if done painting for the day but painting the next day put brush in ziploc bag and put in fridge (the paint will not dry)

go to this site

tackleunderground.com all sorts of info and tips

Troy

Dollarama has the 2 part 5min I use it and it works great.

I dont repaint lures that get beat up from fish I leave them alone there is usually something about them that the fish like if you repaint or seal it then you might just change it enough to mess up the special thing it had leave a good producer alone even if it has almost no paint on it.

I'll second the tip for nail polish.

I found some that is clear with silver flakes in it.

Even has teflon in it if I remember right.

Stuff dries hard and fast, and gives a cool shiny transparent finish.

So I stole a few other colors as well.

Now as long as the girlfriend doesn't know I'm raiding her stuff...all is good.

Hookset.

Been making/painting/repairing my own lures for a few years now. BEWARE! It IS ADDICTIVE with no known cure!!

You can use whatever paint you are comfortable with but be sure to prep thenm before hand &DON't mix different types of paint.

As for sealing the final product or betwen coats....I use ENVIROTEX epoxy. Usually 1 coat will do it(brush it on). If chasing TOOTHY critters 2 coats or all your work will get CHEWED big time. Get it from Michaels Craft store, usually a 40% off coupon in the flyer in most Saturday papers.

In KY you should be able to get it from a HOBBY LOBBY or similar. Good advice above from Skeeter99 .

GO TO tackleunderground.com LOTS of tips advice etc.

Need anything else feel free to PM,

FT

It depends on the lure size to, I really only make musky lures with a little air brush, I use premixed taxidermy paints they really are fairly cheep to and the color is already natural and then 3 coats of 30min epoxy.

But the size of lure matters because a thick coat of epoxy will ruin the action so it just depends on the lure what kind of coat to use. Small lure nail polish, medium lure maybe I light coat of epoxy, large musky lure 3-5 coats won't affect the action.

If you have a ton of lures or plan to paint a lot in the future get a airbrush with a little air compressor, there all over ebay not too expensive, for big musky lures you can get away with a regular spay can and Small lures I would just use a little brush.