Pointe Au Baril ?

stasbrute

I Have an opportunity to stay at Kenlea camp next weekend (can't wait) any OFC'rs have any tips for fishing this area this time of year? thankyou in advance for your reply(s)......Oh an can anyone point me to where I can get a chart of the waters around there?

Edited by Grog

Grog can`t help you with a place to get a map, the bait store may have them, Paynes Marina, or Kennedy`s general store may also have them though. They should be available, I got one here, a popular cruising destination. Lots of rocks but the channels were pretty obvious and white jugs in the water meant rocks, some aren`t marked though.

This was my favorite time of year to go there, if you go into the Shawanaga river past the narrows it opens up into a lake size bay, we caught walleye in the bay near shore past Moose Bay, left side going in. 6-10 feet of water troll a worm harness, erie dearie, small crankbait even a 7 inch Rapala floater in silver and black or Perch. Smallies and Pike back in there too, an occasional hookup with a ski.

We also went from Ken-Lea down to the Winoa channel to go to the river, there is another channel closer, the Christopher? It had a lot of rocks towards the river side and was shallow so we avoided it most of the time. Got some largemouth at times in the channel though, weeds on both sides, it can be real hit or miss.

The channel from Paynes down to Brignall`s banks was a good spot, weeds near shore, some deeper ones, a couple small coves that had decent pike early and late in the day. Also some walleye and bass there this time of year and an ocassional hookup with a ski.

The first decent size bay on the left going into the winoa channel before the island, Mystery bay? bass and pike, shallow weeds, deep weeds.

Back towards Sturgeon Bay PP lots of weed beds small islands, lots of bass, never got a big pike back there though, occasional hookup with a ski. Lots of islands, lots of weedbeds, lots of points, a good mix of shallow and deeper water.

Been a long time since I was there but around 25 years straight, lots of water to fish. Last time I was at Ken-Lea was like the early 80`s? it was getting run down and had an ownership change sometime after my last stay, can`t really tell you what it is like now. A good area to fish though.

In Shawanaga bay the area around Bella Vista, Turning Island were good places to try for walleye, a big weedbed on the outside of the old ymca camp at the mouth of the river had some pike and smallies.

Just a matter of covering some water and seeing where you can locate some fish, lots of areas there will hold them.

Grog if you google earth it you can get an idea of the water and passages, I have the basic so not much definition. The channel between Paynes and Brignall`s is the only way in to a pretty big area. any migration or movement of fish from the main bay has to occur thru there, and in the scope of the area it is narrrow 100-200 yards wide? A deep channel with feeding areas on both sides.

My buddy got a 31 inch walleye there, I got a 28 the same trip, sort of never expected walleye there, not a place for them in the summer. LOL I got mine on a spinnerbait slow rolled off a point(8-10 feet of water), his came on a big minnow on the bottom(17-20feet of water).

My wife and I did well with walleye back in the river with minnows under a slip float in the summer, the fish averaged between 3 and 6 pounds, never got a small walleye there, numbers may not be as good as some places we never caught more than about 8 a day.

Ken-Lea was a good camp for the guys at the time and mom and my aunt`s didn`t mind it. LOL cheap, rustic, some cabins had to use a central bathroom and shower, to close to the water for in cabin facilities. Rock Pines was better for a family, also pricey. Dad stayed at Pleasant Cove and Leisure Bay also and liked them also.

Boat traffic increased over 25 years, not just numbers but size of boats also, this time of year it shouldn`t be a problem. Bugs weren`t a problem this time of year. I would go back there if I was able to.

Grog we trailered down today ,we fished Shawanaga Inlet upper lower and the river itself to the bottom NOTHING marking NOTHING there had to be 8 -12 other boats around same bleek story,we then ran in again fished from Bringal to Sturgeon Bay and fished till dark just got in,Marked some big fish in Sturgeon Bay no strikes ,the lodge boats on the way to the ramp where everywhere