Salmon and Carp anglers needed?

bassjnkie

I made a bet with a buddy. He said it is impossible to catch a salmon with the carp setup (at the Ganny), 12' rods, 1oz weight, baitrunner reel and roe(I am thinking floating roe) Oh ya alarms and pods.

So what I was thinking is main line to a 1oz (egg)sliding wieght to a swivel to 20# leader to salmon hook and floating roe bag.

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

Daniel

It works in Bronte, I don't see why it wouldn't work at the Ganny. I used a slip sinker to adjust my distance off the bottom. I was also "drop shotting" for salmon before I even knew what drop shotting was! I would switch from one to the other depending on what I thought the down current was doing.

I never had the fancy carp gear but that won't make a difference, if anything you're better prepared than I was with an old 7'er and crappy Mitchel reel.

Well, I sure wouldn't be sitting my pod, buzzers & rod along a riverbank where everybody's runnin' around . . . . good way to get it stomped! Fishin' with a bunch of seasoned carpers who know enough to watch where they're walking is fine, but the salmon guys don't expect a set up like this to detour around! But . . . . I'm presently using a 12' / 3 pound T/C Technium with a 6000 Stradic & 50 pound Power Pro, with an 18 pound Seaguar leader. I do this because I can wrassle a big salmon in in about 5 minutes, doesn't tie up the whole shoreline for a half hour, and the fish is in better shape to be released. I've NEVER had one break off this set-up, but I do straighten the occasional hook! However, if I'm fishing and have the area pretty much to myself, I go to a 10.5' St' Croix. 8 - 14 pound, 4000 Sustain & 8 pound line & leader, more fun, but a lot more work!! The Baitrunner set-up doesn't give you a hard enough hookset most of the time, to solidly embed the hook in a salmon's hard bony mouth, the first jump or 2 will dislodge the hook and it's gone! Plus, the salmon is about 3X faster than a carp, could almost have you spooled by the time you get your rod off the pod, and kick the spool into gear!