What's the worst that can happen?

ikoflexer

I noticed a number of salmon reports in the last few days, and no one mentions where they'd been. It puzzles me greatly... what's the worse that can happen if you disclose your location. I'm sure that most people already know where the salmon runs are happening now, so it's not really a secret?

I wonder if you have any stories of bad experiences following to disclosing a location in your report?

People know where the salmon runs are, but for most who frequent this board (whether members or lurkers), it all timing. Why go out and fish a local area night after night if you dont even know if they are staging or running in your local area? Or better yet....why drive 2 hours to that spot? In a few of the spots I fish, the number of people out in the past 3 weeks has doubled and tripled on some days. Is it selfish to not disclose a spot? Perhaps. But anglers have been doing things for a LONG time so that they have an edge to catching fish...everything from tackle secrets, fishing methods and baits, to locations. Also...especially for urban areas, the number of good shore spots are few and far between...if you have a boat I find it's not as much an issue, although I'd say a lot of people have their secret honey holes on lakes that they prefer to keep to themselves as well.

I have heard of stories about shore spots being destroyed from the disclosure of specific locations. Everything from fist fights to towns and people no longer allowing shore access because of the amount of garbage that gets left behind.

You'll likely get lots of stories here...both for and against the disclosure of locations.

I have heard of stories about shore spots being destroyed from the disclosure of specific locations. Everything from fist fights to towns and people no longer allowing shore access because of the amount of garbage that gets left behind.

OH so true.

Why would everyone tell everything about where they fish, it takes trial and error to find good spots for yourself to fish and for what to give it all away after countless hours spent to figure it out for yourself, just cause someone wants to know where your fishing, what your using, what time ect......

Do what most people do and get out there and find some spots. Most people on here do say what to use sometimes, but it can't be handed to you on a platter what is the sport in that.