Belwood Lake Report

evster

I needed to fish this weekend but was having trouble figuring out what to do. My cousin called me up and said he was interested so I headed down to my parents to grab their inflatable boat. Loaded it in the car and had it all ready to go friday night. Saturday mornings destination was Belwood lake in Fergus. This was the first time I had ever been there and expected the water levels to be pretty low, which they were. It was a bit of a hike to get the boat and motor down to the water but we made it and were on the water by about 7:30. The lake was low but still pretty deep, not sure exactly how deep because i didnt have my sonar, but definately not as shallow as Island lake.

It was pretty windy and I wasn't sure what the game plan was going to be so we decided to cruise up stream a ways and watch for structure or weedbeds. Since the water was so low it was looking like most of the shoreline was a mixture of rock and sand, so i'm thinking dragging tubes would probably produce. After driving for a bit I saw a nice looking point up ahead which was all rock and the wind was perfect to set up for a nice drift past the point I thought that would be a good place to start. I went with a brown with green fleck tube and my cousin went with a white with silver fleck. We got the boat just past the point, shut her down and let the wind take it from here. Just as we pass the point I can start feeling the rocks. After drifting past the point I notice the rocks stopped and the tube is dragging smoothly, then WHAM! fish on. This guy was on the other end.

dsc03735eo6.jpg

I decided to let us drift all the way across the bay over to some docks on the other side just to give it a try and to cover some water to see if there are anymore rocks or weeds, but nothing. Got to the docks and it was blowing so hard I couldn't keep the super light inflatable boat close to them long enough to even get one good cast to them. So back to the point we went. Got to the same spot we started the drift and did it again. Lots of rocks, then the tube hit the sand, WHAM! fish on. This was a good one, fought him for a while then he came up and he was. I'd put him at 3 pounds at least. He was shy though and decided to go back into the water before I could get a good lip grip on him... :blush: ... so no pic

Didn't drift as far this time and went back to the point, drift, and WHAM! Little pike.

dsc03736ws8.jpg

Another drift produced this guy.

dsc03737tg5.jpg

The wind shifted and slowed down so that was it for drifting over this point. We caught a bunch of little bass the rest of the morning but nothing big. There are definitely fish in there and I think there are some good smallies.

Lessons learned from the trip...wearing a matching hat and PFD makes you look like a goof.

Note to self: Dont wear a matching hat and PFD! :clapping: :clapping:

Nice report Evster!! You caught more fish in a day there than I did in a while when I used to fish there years ago. Never did pull any bass out of there. It always seemed to be pike in there.

Nice report and WTG!

Bill