Eagle Cuda 168

seansmith_smith

I have an eagle Cuda 168 sonar. i want to use it for ice fishing and was wondering if anyone has used it in such a way. i've read a little bit about it and know there is a portable kit you can buy, but i was hoping to make my own container/mount/battery housing. also need to know if i can use the skimmer transducer supplied in this way, by simply lowering it down the hole.

Any help is appreciated. I know it's a little early for ice fishing questions, but i want to make sure i'm all ready to go when it gets here...

Smitty

Edited by -Smitty-

I used my old Hummingbird that way for a long time, but I found that a big battery can be a big pain in the butt. I ended up getting a gel 12V battery from Cabelas, it is small and compact (about 10"l x 3"w x 4"h) the less weight you have the better.

Now I have a portable one that runs off AA battery pack.

Smitty.

I have a cuda that i use one the ice. I tried it on my boat first and it worked ok.

So i bought a portable battery pack from can tire. Then i made a rod to hold the transducer down the hole to the bottom of the ice. A small bubble level helps to get the transducer straight down.

The skimmer transducer works good and you can see your bait and the fish.

No need to buy the portable kit.

Try the scroll speed at 60% and adjust the sensitivy down till your screen is clear,say 50% or so then throw a medium size spoon(cleo's are perfect) down and see if you can pick it up on the graph right down at the bottom foot or so.When you lift or drop you should detect the movement.Adjust your sensitivity up to see that.You can play with the greyscale too;that'll help you learn whether it's hard or soft bottom where you are.The deeper you are the more sensitvity you'll need.

Kerry